1,000 Islands Trip Sept 18-20- Buddy?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Never dove the sound, a buddy did Stonington but was not impressed. Cape Ann isn't that much farther from northern CT and a much better chance of good diving. Theres a group, SECONN that I believe dives the RI and CT shoreline.

Never dove the sound, a buddy did Stonington but was not impressed. Cape Ann isn't that much farther from northern CT and a much better chance of good diving. Theres a group, SECONN that I believe dives the RI and CT shoreline.
Thanks for the advice. I've heard the sound is low vis. Maybe a trip to the Boston area is in the future. Happy diving!

I just thought an overview might be helpful for anyone looking to dive the 1000 Islands region. Hunts Dive shop was my go to on this trip- I highly recommend them for refills, charters or general advice. Dana ran the charter for the dives- very knowledgeable and helpful.
Islander is a good shore dive to join dive groups to get out in the water if your a single diver. I cannot stress enough how friendly the divers were- first open water diver to tech divers.
The water clarity had improved greatly since August, however they said October is much clearer/colder still.
The charter was tough to book. This is partially because the high demand since the borders are still closed. Luckily they had a group cancel, so I was able to go out. Water temp was 65 and air temp started in the 45 deg range. I'm a recreational diver, and the others were tech divers. We had to clear up air pressure signals, otherwise it was straight forward diving.
We dove the Keystorm and Americas (with Singer Castle in the background). From a recreational diver's perspective- nice to take pictures of the Keystorm and better than Dutch Springs, however the Americas was ok for one dive- not much to see or need revisit. I think a tech diver would find more to explore.
Overall it's a great area to dive. Book far in advance and cover some of the basic signals if you are diving with unfamiliar divers. Thanks to all who posted tips on getting there.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom