05/29/10 Lionfish sighting at Vista Park today

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chugwhump

Contributor
Reaction score
SE Florida, the flattest part, I can see Mount Pom
# of dives
None - Not Certified
Soamelt, BruceT and I went a beach diving today from Vista Park in Fort Lauderdale.

Soamelt found a Lionfish on the reef today.

I have posted a photo album in my member pictures of what the little monster looked like, surface shots of where we were, and a lousy shot of my computer showing our depth (20').
I am not exactly sure how to include them into the body of this missive to the board at large.

Anyway....

I popped a couple of pictures and then Soamelt tried to line up a shot in a very tight place. He did not have a proper spear for the attempt and the little bugger flashed into the reef before Greg could line up the shot for a certain kill with a tricut point.

We were extremely careful and almost nonchalant in our movements, but the little monster figured out our deadly intent.

We moved away for 10 minutes or so and then Soamelt carefully moved back into the immediate area while BruceT and I held back to where we could just see him in the distance, but no luck.
The little bastard had gone to ground.

I guess I was just shocked to see the thing.

I am thinking that "fold-a-spears" are going to be commonplace hereabouts pretty soon.
I know DebbyDiver got hers yesterday after she, Heather, Jenny, and I did our yak dive on FTL Beach. I almost followed her to the shop where she picked it up, to buy one of my own, but went towards home for a gas fill, gear rinse and kid time instead.

I am depressed by this.
I will get over it, but I can see that I now have a new mission.

Chug
Hates Lionfish, outside of their natural range.

Attachments

• IMAG0714.jpg
    IMAG0714.jpg
    207.1 KB · Views: 67
  • IMAG0713.jpg
    IMAG0713.jpg
    220.4 KB · Views: 47
  • IMAG0715.JPG
    IMAG0715.JPG
    260.6 KB · Views: 39
  • IMAG0716.JPG
    IMAG0716.JPG
    220.4 KB · Views: 55
  • IMAG0717.JPG
    IMAG0717.JPG
    192.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMAG0718.JPG
    IMAG0718.JPG
    314.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMAG0719.JPG
    IMAG0719.JPG
    286.9 KB · Views: 56
Last edited:
My biggest mistake was not shooting it the first second I saw it (although he might of taken off just the same).

Any way's, it was nice diving with you guys today, when do you go back to look for the little SOB?

It actually looks like it's out in the open in those pictures (nice shots by the way). It must be the angle because I never saw it come out of that coral head it was under (until it bolted).

I do hope you gentlemen will re-visit the area ASAP with a KILL report!

Indeed I sported my FOLDSPEAR today, but nary a LIONFISH to be seen.

The leg holster is so comfortable that you will pretty much forget that it's there.

I opened it underwater and it assembles almost instantly. Beautiful engineered.

Unfortunately, my tip was not screwed on tightly enough and it lives at the bottom of the sea. I have Jax's spear and tip and I'm using hers tomorrow and will replace it before she comes down for ITK.

BTW, they can be obtained from UnderSeas Sports Fort Lauderdale, 954-564-8661. And, Sea Experience dive op in Fort Lauderdale will be stocking them very soon!

I have every intention of going back to there. My spear may not be ideal but it will get the job done. It's already gotten one so far!

I am depressed by this.
I will get over it, but I can see that I now have a new mission.

Spread the word, no more complacency, in a VERY short time occasional sightings have turned into regular sightings.

automotivator4.jpg

Spread the word, no more complacency, in a VERY short time occasional sightings have turned into regular sightings.

You're absolutely right. It's amazing how quickly we went from no sightings (at least for most of us) to now they are popping up everywhere.

automotivator4.jpg

Holy Crap!
Where is this photo?
The Pacific I hope!

If we start seeing clouds of the damn things hereabouts, clearly I need to figure out how to make my Remington Model 552 Speedmaster work underwater.

Chug
Is thinking hollow points would be best.

Holy Crap!
Where is this photo?

Could easily be somewhere in the Bahamas, unfortunately sightings like that are not uncommon anymore. Let's take action so we don't start having similar sightings in our backyard.

I do hope you gentlemen will re-visit the area ASAP with a KILL report!

Indeed I sported my FOLDSPEAR today, but nary a LIONFISH to be seen.

The leg holster is so comfortable that you will pretty much forget that it's there.

I opened it underwater and it assembles almost instantly. Beautiful engineered.

Unfortunately, my tip was not screwed on tightly enough and it lives at the bottom of the sea. I have Jax's spear and tip and I'm using hers tomorrow and will replace it before she comes down for ITK.

BTW, they can be obtained from UnderSeas Sports Fort Lauderdale, 954-564-8661. And, Sea Experience dive op in Fort Lauderdale will be stocking them very soon!

Debby;
That thing almost looks like a folding tent pole with a bungee cord in it.
Is this correct?
If so, I am going to try to figure out how to make one and put a paralyzer tip on the end of it.
Chug
Really cheap bastage.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom