032305 training day

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Gary D.

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
# of dives
I'm a Fish!
Dive training went well today even though Mother Nature threw us a few punches.

We started out introducing the two new candidates to the operation. They will go through the next couple of months of being in the shadows watching and assisting to get a better idea of what we do. One has been exposed as he is in patrol. The other is a Corrections Deputy from the jail and has not been exposed. After a couple of months they will be subject to the confidence vote. They already know one no vote is an all no vote. Right now I’m not quite sure but I think they will both make it.

Some photos and video’s, I wish we had scratch and sniff’s, turned both of them a slightly non-natural color for a human. Kind of a pale Sea Foam ;^)
One of the first comments was “You actually do that?” He was referring to a video where I was surfacing with a WMA that had been down overnight. About half way to the surface this guy decides to let go of some fluids that kind of flowed over me. :D I love newbeees.

Then off to the lake. We go right down town and the older members did some navigation drills. I worked one on one with our Fireman in getting him comfortable in the new gear.

Something I did a few years ago that has worked well is to not get them “Rescue” ready from the start. Some are ok but others aren’t so it is a case by case deal. So what I do is start them out in a rear entry Viking and NOT show them how to get into it on their own. Once they can prove to me that they can respond, go in, do the job and return safe and in one piece I will get them into the DUI and Zeagle.

Right now our Fireman is in the Viking. He has been diving dry for a while but in a neoprene suit. The shell was new to him but he took right to it like a duck to water. After some drills it was break for lunch.

Hummmmmm, two of us didn’t eat lunch. Can you guess which two? :D

After lunch we loaded up onto two boats and headed south down the lake. Everyone that was going to get wet was on the big boat while everyone else was on the smaller one. We went south about 5 miles and had a fun shallow dive on a crane that fell off a barge about 15 years ago.

It sits on its side in 50’ of water but the lake is down making it a 44’ dive. Vis was around 10’ so I don’t know how the photos I took will come out. The wind was blowing around 30 mph with an air temp of around 40df making for a fricken cold wind chill. It made the 35df water almost feel warm. The lake was kicking up 2-3’ with the wind-generated chop and even at the somewhat protected dive site it was over a 1’ chop.

This must be the Whites Zipper week. We only have two in service and one just sprung a minor leak. When I inspected it the rubber coating is coming off. Not at the teeth but on both sides of them. The thing was sent in and rebuilt last year. Gurrrrrrrrrrrrrrr…..

All in all it was a good productive fun training day. The only real fubar was when I was getting suited up at my car in the parking lot.

Both the new guys were looking at and playing with my gear. In situations like this I allow and encourage it. Any other time anyone touches it without me knowing causes my nero receptors to short circuit and my gaskets blow.

So I keep reaching up on my dash and hit the fart machine. With 6 selections I can have some fun. Long, short, squeaky, juicy and some combo’s.

I hear someone chuckle behind me so I turn around. WHY ME Batman. We were the only one’s in the big old parking lot. Now, standing behind me not over 6’ away is a blond that only exists in dreams. She was out jogging with her two Boxers and decided to stop and watch. She had an ear to ear grin when she said she was glad it was a machine making that noise.

Talk about embarrassed. Here I am with a 6’ tall beautiful blonde with two boxers and I’m testing the batteries on a Fart Machine. To top it off I’m in my underwear (diving).
Could we call it electronic off gassing?

Good fun productive day but due to the weather and it possibly getting worse tomorrow we canceled tomorrows training. We need some good enjoyable fun days. Two nasty weather one's in a row isn’t much fun this time of the year.

Gary D.

Back
Top Bottom