01/09/18 Earthquake

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Doc

Was RoatanMan
Rest in Peace
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
Chicago & O'Hare heading thru TSA 5x per year
# of dives
None - Not Certified
A fairly commonly occurring fault gave way at 8:51pm just north of Swan Island, which lies about 100 miles Northeast of Roatan.

I have no reports of damage on Roatan other than some things fell off shelves, Windows cracking, but who knows what the morning light will reveal. It was a 7.6 (preliminary guess) and they've issued a Tsunami warnings for Belize, USVI, Cayman, etc. and of course "Honduras" which likely refers to the Northern coast of Roatan.

Use this to understand that eons of this have shaped the u/w architecture of the North side. It's that way for a reason. Maybe they'll feel nothing on shore, but u/w there will be a significant surge.

A few years ago, just such a shaker hit and caused a couple hundred feet of vertical wall to slide off on the South side. You all may remember that this heralded the end of diving in Roatan. Perhaps not.

It was very interesting to watch that huge white patch of ancient coral base begin to regrow. The very next day it was a magnet for Banded Coral Shrimp. Years later now it's barely noticeable to those who don't know what happened.

Last edited:
deleted.

Last edited:
Any damage from "tsunami" -- the news I saw predicted a 1 m wave which I guess could knock small boats around? Assuming the prediction wasn't way off.

The tsunami warning was called off around 1 am EST. The prior warning indicated a potential wave of 0.3 to 1m. Based on my limited knowledge of disaster physics, I understand that this would not have been significant since the wavelength (e.g., distance from crest to crest) is very long. In deep, open water the energy of the wave seems to have dissipated.

That said, the shaking on the island was pretty significant. Everyone I know reported major tremors for nearly one minute. I am not aware of any damage on the island (including our condo - phew) although some news reports indicated that buildings had cracked on the mainland. I have not yet heard if there has been any impact on the reef but, as Doc implies, it probably isn't the end of the world.

Reactions: Doc
Jay Patton's interpretative poster: Original Mirror

20180110_honduras_interpretation_65.png

Reactions: Doc
We felt it here in Playa del Carmen. I thought it was just a big truck passing by until my friend asked if I had felt it.

Back
Top Bottom