0.5 mil or 1.0 mil Farmer John? Does one exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

beanojones

Contributor
Reaction score
0.5 mil or 1.0 mil Farmer John? Does one exist?

I need a 0.5 mil or 1.0 mil Farmer John. Does such a thing exist, or do I just have to keep buying 1.0 mil suits and getting them sewn?

I've never seen one, and I've spent a decent amount of time looking at wetsuits at the various online scuba stores. Can I ask why you need a farmer John in that thickness, versus a fullsuit?

James

I only want leg coverage. If there were wetsuit pants, I get those.

I don't know of half mil material being made. You can get anything you want made out of one mil, you could also get a jumpsuit and cut off the arms, that's no biggie.

Sometimes I miss the days of the high waist wet suit too. I really liked the flexibility, reduced bulk and more even coverage it offered compared to the farmer john. The closest I can get now is a one piece suit.

Sometimes I miss the days of the high waist wet suit too. I really liked the flexibility, reduced bulk and more even coverage it offered compared to the farmer john. The closest I can get now is a one piece suit.
Back in those days most of the folks I dived with made their own suits, gluing is not a skill you lose, making patterns however, is.

I don't know of half mil material being made. You can get anything you want made out of one mil, you could also get a jumpsuit and cut off the arms, that's no biggie.

ScubaPro has been selling the 0.5 mil full suit, (and IIRC a shorty as well) for a while)

But I already have upper body coverage and really just want a 0.5 mil farmer John to cover leg cuts so the cleaner wrasse don't infect me when they 'clean' the cuts. (I hate lycra for leggings, and in fact in general I hate leggings, but...

I am currently using the 0.5 mil with the arms cut off, but they do not last without finished edges.

Have you seen a 1.0 mil Farmer John?

I am thinking about just getting a 3 mil farmer John and tucking it somewhere deep for a week to crush it permanently into a thin suit.

Thanks for the link,

But I have tried Polartec and the like and they simply are not durable enough, and they are freezing cold on the surface because they have an enormous evaporative cooling effect.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom