Why are BP/W users more common on this board than at the beach?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

JeffG:
2: Buoyancy Characteristics/Real Life weight Ratio. BP is way ahead in this regard.

3: Crotch strap. My Jacket BC always slipped up my body when floating at the surface (a part of being tall and skinny I'm thinking)

I don't want to be picky but my Transpac (presumably one of the others!) fulfils at least these two conditions - as I presume most back inflate systems without a plate would.

Should this thread really be about back inflate vs jacket style?

I think that a properly weighted diver is much more likely to have better buoyancy no matter what bcd he/she is wearing. proper weight means less gas in the bcd no matter what design. I could never judge a diver just because of the bcd, that's just odd to me because I learned to dive without a bcd to begin with. it's just a tool, and a tool used wrong is still a hazard.

Fat Fingers!

I certainly don't fit No. 2.

H2Andy:
sleathy (adjective):

1. discreetely immoral; able to hide reprobate behaviours.

2. careful in the use of money, miserly.

3. one who has sleath.

Kim:
I don't want to be picky but my Transpac (presumably one of the others!) fulfils at least these two conditions - as I presume most back inflate systems without a plate would.

Should this thread really be about back inflate vs jacket style?
Be as picky as you want...I was only stating the strengths of BP's as I see them. I wasn't saying that other systems didn't have the same thing. (Don't read into, what isn't there.) But the first point (the one you didn't quote) is probably the most important anyways IMO.

Its kinda why I always laugh at the big debates on BC's...this stuff isn't rocket science.....its just a bag of air...

Although I don't dive a BP/W I always think that there is probably one very good advantage and one very big disadvantage.

The advantage: As you tank is mated very tightly to the BP and that is very tightly worn by you - it must feel very stable with minimum tank movement/wobble.

The disadvantage: If you got into a entanglement which necessitated removing your gear, it must be hard to get it off. (This last point was recently shown to be true by someone doing his IDC - he had to switch to a jacket style to get through the gear removal part!)

cmalinowski:
Jacket? Back-inflate? BP/W?

C'mon, this is the obvious next step :eyebrow:

Water wings could kill you. They promote an arms up position which severly restricts mobility. Not to mention any observers will think you're in distress.

Do they make them in black? :D

Kim:
Although I don't dive a BP/W I always think that there is probably one very good advantage and one very big disadvantage.

The advantage: As you tank is mated very tightly to the BP and that is very tightly worn by you - it must feel very stable with minimum tank movement/wobble.

The disadvantage: If you got into a entanglement which necessitated removing your gear, it must be hard to get it off. (This last point was recently shown to be true by someone doing his IDC - he had to switch to a jacket style to get through the gear removal part!)

I dunno ... I've gotten pretty proficient at getting out of my harness in the water by diving out of OE2X's Zodiac.

On the other hand, haven't had much practice getting back into it in the water ... but I'll bet with a few practice runs I could get it down pretty pat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

SeanQ:
Water wings could kill you.

ooooohhhhhh.... another item to add to my list:

THINGS THAT COULD KILL YOU

1. snorkels
2. Spare Air
3. pony bottles
4. enraged DM's
5. listening to any advice over the internet
6. on-line gear shopping
7. water wings

(warning: this is not a complete list. reliance thereon might result in injury
or death. use at your own risk)

NWGratefulDiver:
I dunno ... I've gotten pretty proficient at getting out of my harness in the water by diving out of OE2X's Zodiac.

On the other hand, haven't had much practice getting back into it in the water ... but I'll bet with a few practice runs I could get it down pretty pat ...

... Bob (Grateful Diver)

I agree that you could probably learn how to do it. However you are probably a lot more experienced than the majority of divers are. I think that it should be at least a consideration for less experienced divers. In any event - if you do use a BP/W I personally think that it is a very important thing to be able to do - the consequences of getting trapped in it could be very high. I know that quick releases are only considered failure points by some, but I can imagine scenarios where they would be very helpful!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom