I have a question for the dry crowd

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm beginning to realize that you are all right in that the boots are probably the right size. ScubaSarus mentioned about the Oceanic Flex, that's what this suit is, mines black and for intents and purposes is new, not a mark on it, no wear at the knees or elbows and no wear on the booties. The story was this gal bought it to learn to dive dry and didn't like it so the suits only got a couple of dives on it. All the seals are intact and may even need to be trimmed a bit. I'm going to hunt down a good hood and gloves, also need some thermal wear any good leads in that direction? Thanks folks, as always everyone here is very helpful. Roger

too big isn't good either. even with two pairs of socks on mine still have room to puff up when i ascend. i'd be okay with a size smaller...

There are a million types of undergarments available. Your decision needs to be based on the temperature of the water you dive. I also dive with a Flex and the suit itself is only a bag. It does not give you any insulative value. I have several pairs of thinner Poseidon underwear and layer it depending on the water temp. You may find the one piece garment helpful also because the top won't ride up on you and leave your belly cold. Whatever you choose be sure it is thinsulate or some other material that will wick moisture away from your skin leaving you nice and warm. DO NOT wear cotton since it soaks up the moisture leaving you cold.

Good luck with your new suit. It's great to get out after a dive and be dry.

With regard to warm hands.... warm feet, etc..

I've found that heating your wrist on the underside actually heats your blood, as it flows near the surface of your wrist. When I work in very cold water, I have used special "wrist heaters" that actually replaced the need for gloves (not while diving). Maybe UP noticed that warm hands (warming the wrist veins), kept his body temp warmer, as it actually can do this, by reducing body heat loss. I believe that a lot of body heat is lost via the wrist.

I like the comment that Dive Junky made about the one piece suit also. This makes sense, I think he has the right idea about the thin layers, that way you are prepared for different temps. Have any of you found a good discount place to buy thinsulate or other simular products? Roger

I heard about those MEC's. Look nice.

The OS superstretch line is pretty amazing also. The undergarment fits like a glove, and has "0" restriction. It is made with a "FOUR" way stretch material. I believe most undergarments are made with TWO way stretch. OS also sells seperate pants, vest, shirt, as well as a jumpsuit so that you can layer.

The MEC looks like a pretty amazing bargain though. US dollars should be like around $50????!!!! No tax too. Wonder if the MED/MID weight garments are very warm or not?

BlueDolphin:
I heard about those MEC's. Look nice.

The OS superstretch line is pretty amazing also. The undergarment fits like a glove, and has "0" restriction. It is made with a "FOUR" way stretch material. I believe most undergarments are made with TWO way stretch. OS also sells seperate pants, vest, shirt, as well as a jumpsuit so that you can layer.

The MEC looks like a pretty amazing bargain though. US dollars should be like around $50????!!!! No tax too. Wonder if the MED/MID weight garments are very warm or not?
They are very thin and will not provide sufficient thermal protection on their own but they are warm, stretchy and comfortable. I'm using them as a base layer :wink:

that provides the extra warmth? I'm going to check their other products to see if they are sufficient to do the job, otherwise they sound pretty good. Roger

Don't be afraid to check out sportsman stores too. In Penn. I stop in at Cabello's once in awhile to see what they have. Hunters are big in to thinsulate also because it keeps them dry. I'm sure they also have a website. Down side to the intenet is you can't see and try before you buy. Perhaps you have a sportswear store near you.

Back
Top Bottom