Covid surging in Bonaire

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Okay, there's a lot going on in this thread, and I may have missed something. Is the NON-teleproctored test accepted by the Bonaire authorities for the required self-test upon arrival? I was under the impression that a self-administered, non-teleproctored test is worthless, because it's basically the honor system. I have a bunch of those at-home self-tests that our city handed out, and I have used them for peace of mind now and then but didn't believe the results would be accepted by anyone else.
When you arrive, you are handed a free self-test to use when you get to your resort. You only report positive results. If that test came up positive for me, I'd want to test again immediately with a different antigen test....like the BINAXNow. If it also came up positive, then I'd call it in and accept the consequences.

When you arrive, you are handed a free self-test to use when you get to your resort. You only report positive results. If that test came up positive for me, I'd want to test again immediately with a different antigen test....like the BINAXNow. If it also came up positive, then I'd call it in and accept the consequences.
Ah, now I see. Though I check in on this thread every day, I guess I lost the context in which this test was being discussed.

So what does one do if the first test is positive and the re-test is negative? Take a third test?

Call me a cynic, but it makes me wonder how many people are actually calling in their positive self-test result. I just returned from Mexico, where a guy who was diving with the same shop apparently tested positive on the antigen test required for return travel to the US. He told himself it was a false positive (I don't know if he took a self-test after testing positive, but I doubt it) and spent the next few days touring around the area--not quarantining--waiting until he could get a letter of recovery. I'd like to believe people like that are not common.

I'd like to believe people like that are not common.
Right. I'd like to believe I'll grow some day to be 6 ft tall.
The combination of arrogance and stupidity, and lack of empathy or sense of community-responsibility, are truly awesome.

I just tried to order it, it does show available and when I click "add for shipping" it tells me it's not available and has been removed from my cart. :-(
Try walking into a Walgreens or a CVS and buy it over the counter.

Reactions: Dan
As a side note, starting January 15th health insurance will be required to cover up to 8 home covid tests a month. Payment may be up front or by reimbursement. Somehow I doubt this will include the teleproctored test but I plan to check.

Edit. Then again it is up to 12 dollars per test so maybe they will cover at least a portion.

Try walking into a Walgreens or a CVS and buy it over the counter.
Just went to local Walgreens and got one.

B417B9D0-DBFF-4B90-8D8B-0C29D7FEF244.jpeg

Call me a cynic, but it makes me wonder how many people are actually calling in their positive self-test result.
Okay, when you can't count on character or other 'noble' factors, get in touch with your inner sociopath and take another look at the situation.

2 Fully vaccinated guys, Bob and Jack, land on Bonaire, get the 'test at your resort' test, each goes to a private apartment rented for solo stay, and both test positive for COVID-19 (both remain asymptomatic). Well, crap. Now what?

Bob calls it in. Presumably his 10-day quarantine period (any way to shorten that?) starts immediately, that day? Or does it start with some sort of confirmatory follow up test? If Bob planned a 7-day stay, he's got to reschedule his flight. Which might even make him add more days than a 10-day total. If Bob's there 2-weeks, maybe after his 10-days he can cram in 3 days or so of diving? In Bonaire, you might 13 dives or so in that.

Jack, on the other hand, decides not to report it. He figures he can largely avoid people, wear a mask what little he's around others, and solo shore dive. He knows he'll probably get caught by the required Day 5 test, but figures that's 4 or 5 days diving he'll get it before they stop him.

But now Jack's 10-day quarantine starts 5 days into his trip, which will extend his stay well beyond what he planned, meaning extra costs, yes?

My point is, from a perspective of sole self-interest, is it in the diver traveler's best interest to report that first day + test, or wait to get caught by the day 5 test?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom