Fatigue, Old Age, Sleep?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

i saw a TED talk on this -ill try to find it -really worked but in short the mind works on patterns of repetition - like controlling your breathing and really concentate on it as you slow it down -but a few things ive noitced - stay off social media /tv etc an hour before you go to bed - if you have things on your mind make a list of things you need to do the next day so your not going over them at night.
sound silly but this works for me - i visualise me unpacking my ccr and assembling it in the exact order that is on my checklist connecting computer filling sorb etc - havent made it all the way yet before i fall asleep:)

this is a few 10 TED Talks About Sleep

this is a good one i was thinking of earlier

How to trick your brain into falling asleep | Jim Donovan​

when I do wake up in the night, if I can't fall back asleep in 30 minutes

Hello hello, 30 mins is too long would drive me more insane
Get up do some chores until you feel like going back to bed

Doesn't take long to feel proud of your work and sleepy again

First, if you guys haven't noticed, Daltry is still alive and old, Sir Mick looks like a old dried piece of shoe leather.

Its 2am, what was 3am yesterday, and I am up. I did find a paper on biphasic sleep, sounds sorta like what I am going through.

Getting up and doing chores? You either must live alone, or are totally fearless. My wife would deball me with dull pinking shears if I constantly woke her up doing chores. She is trying to be helpful, she offered to hold a pillow over my face until I stopped moving around.

Sleep apnea test may be a good idea.

Find a spot on the property diagonally furthest from your wife and do her chores

Quietly!

Sleep. As I have become older, I am 68, it is getting more difficult to sleep through the night. I used to notice my father, in bed by 9pm, up at 3am, asleep in his recliner by 9am. Well, its starting to happen to me.

I have tried the cliche cures, no food or drink after 7pm, I have increased my daily walk to 2 - 20 minute miles, no caffeine after noon, white noise, sleeping in separate room, when I do wake up in the night, if I can't fall back asleep in 30 minutes, I get up and take a melatonin. Some days it works, others it does not. My exercise has fallen off with my local gym closure, but I try to keep moving.

This is leading to an energy crisis in the afternoons almost every day, and a general lack of motivation. At the moment, I am getting 5-6 hours of good sleep a night. Some afternoons I nap for an hour, most not, but it does not seem to matter. And today, the time changes, does me no good at all. And no, even after a 2 hour cave dive, it is no better sleeping, although I do generally feel better.

I understand that this is common in us geezers, so I was wondering how many of you are having similar issues, and what you have tried short of drugs?
Mmmm…..not sure that 68 is old age anymore.…..have you tried mindfulness apps on your phone or increasing your walking further, like doubling or cutting out alcohol completely or something like Pilates or Yoga via YouTube ?

I have noticed similar sleeping patterns caused by two other causes also. If I drink alcohol then I might wake up at 5am, unable to catch sleep again, sit in an armchair for an hour, browse the net, and then sleep 3 to 4 hours more. Similar sleep pattern is also possible under mental stress. Hence, this discussion about sleep is interesting.

Lack of sleep was also a problem for me. I'm 59 years old, and I used to wake up in the middle of the night, and I didn't always get enough sleep. I went to the doctor and was diagnosed with sleep apnea, for which he recommended a CPAP machine. I also made other behavioral changes, such as having a consistent bedtime, developing pre-sleep routines, exercising consistently, and avoiding coffee, smoking, and alcohol before night. Right now, I'm feeling much better.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom