Nitrox shortage????

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I never understood why more shops didn't use membranes. I can see needing 02 for filling deco bottles but for pumping nitrox in bulk a membrane has to be more cost effective.

You have to pump ALOT of nitrox for a membrane system to be cost effective. Also its a bit complex and limited. Both a stick and partial pressure blending are cheaper/easier.

I never understood why more shops didn't use membranes. I can see needing 02 for filling deco bottles but for pumping nitrox in bulk a membrane has to be more cost effective.
Membrane systems are very expensive. They tend to be more popular in areas where access to Oxygen is limited and costly.

I understand the costs but we're talking about dive shops. I see shops with more money in banks than a membrane would cost.

I dive with a couple of outfits that now have membrane compressors (up to 50% nitrox). I suspect the oxygen shortage during covid may be at least part of the reason for the investment in such compressors but also the ease of use and vast saving of staff time on blending and calculation the refill quantities for part used cylinders. Also the pumping costs to transfer oxygen from its supply cylinders to diving cylinders are significant.

A membrane would not eliminate the need for a bank, only some of the oxygen bottles which would typically be leased. Where oxygen is readily available it is quite cheap.

I understand the costs but we're talking about dive shops. I see shops with more money in banks than a membrane would cost.

Bank is still needed. That’s what they fill from, not from the compressor directly. Fills would take forever that way.

The shops I’m familiar with in SFL all use liquid O2 from a dewar and a continuous blending stick to fill various banks (32, 36, 50, Air). Most large shops also have at least 2 compressors. Far cheaper than a membrane system I believe.

Membrane compressors don't need the cylinders to be oxygen clean. Makes it more viable in resort settings.

Membrane compressors don't need the cylinders to be oxygen clean. Makes it more viable in resort settings.

Any banked Nitrox system does not require O2 clean tanks regardless of how that Nitrox is made. I can’t imagine an operation of any significant size fills tanks right from the compressor.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom