Shot through the heart (somewhat graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And to add, if this was self inflicted,
I'm a spearo and I don't know the facts in this picture but I'll try to point some things out.

*) This picture is a couple of years old, I think I first saw it the beginning of 2020.

*) A trigger mech is typically located at the end of the shaft and the victim's arm would probably not be long enough and be able to pull the trigger so that probably rules out "Self-Inflicted". So someone else probably pulled the trigger.

*) You are not allowed to spearfish in Europe/Turkey on scuba, you must be freediving with no tanks. And lots of freedivers dive one up and one down. Some(?) spearo's return to the boat with loaded guns to save time (yaa I know it's not safe-I don't)

*)The angle of the spear in the picture suggests that it was fired from someone 'above' the victim

Now comes the pure {speculation} on my part based on my spearfishing experience.....................
The victim was returning to the boat with his gun still loaded. He handed his gun up 'butt first' so the spear would not be pointed at the deck person because it was still loaded. The deck person grabbed the speargun by the handle trigger and accidentally squeezed/touched the trigger firing the spear. If you picture the victim being in the water still and handing his gun up to the deck person, the alignment in the picture is almost perfect for what would result & happen. {/speculation}

PS>> Not all of us spearo's are bad people, most are very very safe and fun to dive with.

I'm a spearo and I don't know the facts in this picture but I'll try to point some things out.

*) This picture is a couple of years old, I think I first saw it the beginning of 2020.

*) A trigger mech is typically located at the end of the shaft and the victim's arm would probably not be long enough and be able to pull the trigger so that probably rules out "Self-Inflicted". So someone else probably pulled the trigger.

*) You are not allowed to spearfish in Europe/Turkey on scuba, you must be freediving with no tanks. And lots of freedivers dive one up and one down. Some(?) spearo's return to the boat with loaded guns to save time (yaa I know it's not safe-I don't)

*)The angle of the spear in the picture suggests that it was fired from someone 'above' the victim

Now comes the pure {speculation} on my part based on my spearfishing experience.....................
The victim was returning to the boat with his gun still loaded. He handed his gun up 'butt first' so the spear would not be pointed at the deck person because it was still loaded. The deck person grabbed the speargun by the handle trigger and accidentally squeezed/touched the trigger firing the spear. If you picture the victim being in the water still and handing his gun up to the deck person, the alignment in the picture is almost perfect for what would result & happen. {/speculation}

PS>> Not all of us spearo's are bad people, most are very very safe and fun to dive with.

You maybe on to something there, it would also explain why he lived. Such a short range would reduce penetration.

What a strangely moderated forum. My post was deleted just because I said I didn’t want to be paired up with spearfishers when I dove? The reason given was blame storming. How is that comment blame storming??? I just don’t want to have a dive buddy who is spear fishing. I have a number of reasons for not wanting to but I don’t care if someone else wants to spear fish. WTF is up with removing such a benign post?

I’m outta here. No wonder this message board is struggling to stay relevant. The era of message boards has passed. I’ll join a more relevant diving community with a more diverse group of people, not just the over 55 crowd and not one where paranoid mods interpret the most benign posts as something nefarious. LOL!

PS, my post is directed at the moderators. There are some good people on here I’ve made friends with, so this isn’t directed at you.

Dive safe everyone and good luck.

What a strangely moderated forum. My post was deleted just because I said I didn’t want to be paired up with spearfishers when I dove? The reason given was blame storming. How is that comment blame storming??? I just don’t want to have a dive buddy who is spear fishing. I have a number of reasons for not wanting to but I don’t care if someone else wants to spear fish. WTF is up with removing such a benign post?

I’m outta here. No wonder this message board is struggling to stay relevant. The era of message boards has passed. I’ll join a more relevant diving community with a more diverse group of people, not just the over 55 crowd and not one where paranoid mods interpret the most benign posts as something nefarious. LOL!

PS, my post is directed at the moderators. There are some good people on here I’ve made friends with, so this isn’t directed at you.

I hate to see anyone go for the most part but this forum is definitely still relevant. 1300 people on it now, 240,000 plus members, pretty sure there is no place on Shallow Media, I mean Social Media with the depth and diversity of membership.
I don't know what exactly your post said but some of the forums have special rules about conduct or content relevance.
I have been moderated before and I always tried to see where I had diverted from the conduct and content.
Hopefully this spearo has recovered and his experience can help others to dive safer.

I thought the post that said simply "karma" was completely in bad taste and I even drafted (but never sent) a report to moderators over it. I'm glad the moderators stepped in.

If people use compressed air, spearguns (or kitchen knives) accidents will happen. Sometimes the accidents are stupid and often they are avoidable, but it is in bad taste to attack the victim without knowing the details.

Saying that you prefer not (or refuse) to "buddy up" with a spearfisherman on a charter boat makes a lot of sense. You are much more likely to be ignored, be subject to aggressive sharks and you obviously could be shot. Why that perspective is found to be objectionable is hard to understand.

People who are actively (and intently) engaging in spearfishing generally make poor buddies; they won't want you close to them -since it scares the fish- and once they are targeting and pursuing a fish, they are concentrating on that task -NOT watching you. People who think otherwise are probably not that familiar with scuba spearfishing and spearguns.

Better off solo and just agree to go your own way underwater.

There are some people who can manage to engage in spearfishing and keep an eye on a buddy, but it takes good conditions, a ton of experience and an understanding that when a fish is being dealt with, the diver's attention is going to be focused primarily on the fish.

Free speech is more important than anyone's feelings.

Free speech is more important than anyone's feelings.
OT ALERT!!! OT ALERT!!!! OT ALERT!!!

I don't see the government censoring speech here. That's what the First Amendment prevents from happening. What private individuals/institutions do is their business.

OT ALERT!!! OT ALERT!!!! OT ALERT!!!

I don't see the government censoring speech here. That's what the First Amendment prevents from happening. What private individuals/institutions do is their business.

Agreed. However it doesn't change the truth of my post.
Besides once the sheepel became accustom to tyranny it won't matter where it comes from private, govt, it's just the right thing to do don't ya know? Every long trip is started with one small step.

And just how much influence does some govt. regulations have in this type of stuff anyway?

EDIT this post is almost an hour old and hasn't been deleted, yet! Somebody's slipping. :wink:

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom