Shot through the heart (somewhat graphic warning)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Now this is a dumb comment. There was no judgment in that post, it did not say good karma nor bad karma. What happened to him is identical what he set out to do to another living species. It was absolutely neutral. Typical SB lynch mob
By using context, I made an inference. I find it hard to believe that a spear through the heart can lead to that comment being meant In a good way.

Yes, he set out to try to catch some fish using one of the most, if not the most, sustainable methods. I don’t believe the comment was neutral or non-judgmenatal.

The post was removed, so apparently I’m not the only one who thought it was not quite neutral.

By using context, I made an inference. I find it hard to believe that a spear through the heart can lead to that comment being meant In a good way.

Yes, he set out to try to catch some fish using one of the most, if not the most, sustainable methods. I don’t believe the comment was neutral or non-judgmenatal.

The post was removed, so apparently I’m not the only one who thought it was not quite neutral.
Yep as said, mob behavior, you feel probably threatened and feel your tribe is being attacked even defending that spearfishing is sustainable.
Due system change I can't find anymore what exact wording was used by moderation but what I remember was it was along the lines of blaming, which is not true. As others also pointed out, mods needs to lighten up.

Yep as said, mob behavior, you feel probably threatened and feel your tribe is being attacked even defending that spearfishing is sustainable.
First, is it not a sustainable method? Not including poaching, which shouldn’t happen regardless of the harvest method. For this question, assume the harvester is following the local regulations as most harvesters do. Fact is, there is far less bycatch than other methods.
Due system change I can't find anymore what exact wording was used by moderation but what I remember was it was along the lines of blaming, which is not true. As others also pointed out, mods needs to lighten up.
Hmm. I’m having a hard time trying to interpret the karma comment in any other way. It seems to me it was intended to indicate that the diver had that coming to him, which isn’t neutral. If you have another explanation, I’d like to hear it.

First, is it not a sustainable method? Not including poaching, which shouldn’t happen regardless of the harvest method. For this question, assume the harvester is following the local regulations as most harvesters do. Fact is, there is far less bycatch than other methods.

Hmm. I’m having a hard time trying to interpret the karma comment in any other way. It seems to me it was intended to indicate that the diver had that coming to him, which isn’t neutral. If you have another explanation, I’d like to hear it.
How you interpret says something about you, not about what I wrote. Someone else already mentioned; if you play with fire you might get burned. There is certain level of situational irony in these kind of accidents.
Hunters becoming hunted is very common irony we see in the news, do we censor all that?
Real karma would have been you were reborn as fish or woke up as a fish in a kafkaesk world. Then you can explain to other fish how civilised human are to shoot you through the heart and hopefully they would thank us/you being so human and making things sustainable for them.
Me? I am not interested in this conversation.

How you interpret says something about you, not about what I wrote. Someone else already mentioned; if you play with fire you might get burned. There is certain level of situational irony in these kind of accidents.
Hunters becoming hunted is very common irony we see in the news, do we censor all that?
The news story is not being censored. The story and thread are still up. I guess you were the one that made the comment in question. I didn’t report it, and had actually planned to ask for clarification, but it had been deleted already.
Whatever. You started it back up by quoting a post I made several weeks ago. Seems to me you are interested in the conversation. Otherwise you would have let it go.

hope I'm not being completely out of line here but my first thought after going through the thread: I wonder why Mako Spearguns has not droped into this thread to advertise....

For not being interested you sure seem interested.

Karma? Karma simply means the people I treat poorly have it coming. Because of Karma I won’t give change to bums. Karma put them in their position so who am I to try and help them beat Karma. Then Karma will come around and do me up the backside for getting in its way.

For not being interested you sure seem interested.

Karma? Karma simply means the people I treat poorly have it coming. Because of Karma I won’t give change to bums. Karma put them in their position so who am I to try and help them beat Karma. Then Karma will come around and do me up the backside for getting in its way.
My comment about not being interested was explicit to the discussion whether spearfishing is sustainable. It is not relevant, I never made any remark on that, it is just default defensive response of some people.
Your definition of the karma is talking about "bad karma". I never indicated negative or positive. You can interpret it him having a good karma if you will as he survived and has been extremely lucky to have right people operate him. It is perhaps you who is making that judgement that he had bad deeds.

The news story is not being censored. The story and thread are still up. I guess you were the one that made the comment in question. I didn’t report it, and had actually planned to ask for clarification, but it had been deleted already.

Whatever. You started it back up by quoting a post I made several weeks ago. Seems to me you are interested in the conversation. Otherwise you would have let it go.
You thought calling someones comment as stupid would not evoke a response? I just read your message, time has nothing to do with this. I did not attack or criticize your tribe, you talking about sustainable fishing is absolutely irrelevant. That is what I do not want to discuss but it seems that is what you are here for..
Some events in life are tragicomical, why pretend they aren't? I did not assume people making Bon Jovi comment are evil and meant bad. I bet the victim will laugh at this him self and sing along once he recovers.
I find it quite sad for people who are reporting or censoring this type of stuff. Have been living now, what, 10 years in Germany as an expat. Sad history this country has, having paid the price to give little authority to normal people and what can become of them..

You thought calling someones comment as stupid would not evoke a response? I just read your message, time has nothing to do with this. I did not attack or criticize your tribe, you talking about sustainable fishing is absolutely irrelevant. That is what I do not want to discuss but it seems that is what you are here for..
I call them like I see them. As I stated, I was originally going to ask you to clarify what you meant, but the post was gone. I’ve since asked you how you meant It if different than how I took it. For clarity, I interpreted the comment as you saying he had it coming since he was spearfishing. Your other posts on this and other subjects show that you have no love for spearfishing.

So tell me, if you didn’t mean he had it coming, what did you mean?

Some events in life are tragicomical, why pretend they aren't? I did not assume people making Bon Jovi comment are evil and meant bad. I bet the victim will laugh at this him self and sing along once he recovers.
The Bon Jovi comments were actually funny. Yours wasn’t. Apparently I’m not the only one who thought that.

I call them like I see them. As I stated, I was originally going to ask you to clarify what you meant, but the post was gone. I’ve since asked you how you meant It if different than how I took it. For clarity, I interpreted the comment as you saying he had it coming since he was spearfishing. Your other posts on this and other subjects show that you have no love for spearfishing.

So tell me, if you didn’t mean he had it coming, what did you mean?
Now ask your self, a person who does not like fish to be killed will get joy out of someone getting hurt?

Karma in this context is neutral, he got exactly same fate as his deed and this is a fact, not a judgment. It just captures an ironic situation.
The Bon Jovi comments were actually funny. Yours wasn’t. Apparently I’m not the only one who thought that.
I did not find them funny but it does not upset me if someone may have. I did not assume bad intentions on people writing that, the tragicomical situation was there and someone just claimed it. Technically it contains blame but not insult or degradation. I am not happy to see it deleted.
This is not a popularity contest. If something is not popular does not mean it is wrong. On the contrary, people who are writing popular comments are the ones more likely trying to please the audience, not asking hardest questions or stating most difficult facts.
Beside, people who expressed displeasure with Karma looked to me as the same mob who attacked me earlier, it is very likely they feel threatened that the tribe is under attack. Just like you, they carry their animosity from other threads to here. I would be happy if you'd please stop.

Back
Top Bottom