Wells Fargo now tells me I need a four digit debit card pin at ATM

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

DandyDon

Umbraphile
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
One kilometer high on the Texas Central Plains
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always used a pin twice as long, and I don't like the idea of a four-digit pin, but that's what they tell me today. Anyone else used WF at an ATM lately? What's the scoop?

That's been true for a while at various ATMs. At least since 2000. We had Bank of America back then. The only PIN you can guarantee will work is 4 digits. I think it has to do with the ATM operators, not Wells Fargo per se.

That's been true for a while at various ATMs. At least since 2000.
I've used my longer pin many times since then. I guess it varies with ATMs maybe.

We use Wells Fargo. I have a 4 digit pin. Can’t trust myself to remember more than that. My husbands is longer. We both use ATMs on the island with no issue.

I have always used a pin twice as long, and I don't like the idea of a four-digit pin, but that's what they tell me today. Anyone else used WF at an ATM lately? What's the scoop?

Been a WF customer for decades. Always had a four digit PIN.

Why don't you call WF and ask that question instead of posting SPAM on a dive forum.

One question to ask is if a pure ATM card can have a longer PIN as opposed to a debit card. They obviously push debit cards hard, but pure ATM cards (not debit ) may be able to have longer pins (just a hunch ).

We use Wells Fargo. I have a 4 digit pin. Can’t trust myself to remember more than that. My husbands is longer. We both use ATMs on the island with no issue.
The phone bankers I spoke with did not seem to know the whole story, but I am starting to think that some ATMs in the world will only take four-digit pins, but those on Cozumel are okay with longer pins.
I guess it varies with ATMs maybe.

The phone bankers I spoke with did not seem to know the whole story, but I am starting to think that some ATMs in the world will only take four-digit pins, but those on Cozumel are okay with longer pins.
Yep. In Europe (at the Italian part) ATMs can only handle 4 digits. A friend learned the hard way.

If you travel internationally you need to confirm to the lowest common denominator...

AND even worse... If your banking peeps catch wind of 2 factor authentication, you may not be able to gain online access unless you have a phone that has world access. All of my banks now want to text me an access # if they detect my browser is not at home...

Back
Top Bottom