Tips for navigation?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

why are they marketed opposite of each other?
Those marked "backwards" are designed to be viewed through the edge window. This is reverse of what one would want when viewing from above.

FWIW, a typical diving compass is marked both ways. Bezel has "top-down". The floating dial has both "reversed" for the numeric gradations and top-down for the cardinal directions.

Is that Teric that is talked about a total dive computer or just a compass? Looks cool!
Dive computer with built-in compass. I have it setup so in a glance I have all of the info without a need to press any button underwater (which a potential of failure).

Teric also comes with wireless charger. I can put it on my iPhone wireless charger pad and it’ll charge it full quickly.

Most of my boat dives have been wreck dives, so natural navigation was pretty easy. Only thing is, don't forget exactly where the anchor line is so you can ascend on it.
For my shore diving I don't use the lubber line. I can do all that fancy stuff having taken the UW Nav course. But it's way easier to just look at the compass to see what direction (ENE?) I want to go out and maybe which way is the shore exit point--(WSW?), which I check after surfacing.

This is me. Lubber lines, reciprocal headings, etc are just opportunities for me to mess something up.

Those marked "backwards" are designed to be viewed through the edge window. This is reverse of what one would want when viewing from above.

FWIW, a typical diving compass is marked both ways. Bezel has "top-down". The floating dial has both "reversed" for the numeric gradations and top-down for the cardinal directions.

I just look at the compass from the top. Tells me which way I am heading. I find it much simpler this way.

When I teach it, on Aow they also have to swing a square, but with an extended first leg, which takes them away from the wreck so they can't see it. The only reference is the featureless sand and the compass. Paranoia and self doubt sets i, but they all eventually get it even after a few attempts - and I get them to use the compass on different dives.

First tip. Make sure you know the direction you're heading away from the drop point, and set that reciprocal bearing at the start of the dive, that way you have a direction to head back too - hopefully you'll have paid some attention to the change of directions you might have made on the dive site - especially to the surrounding area of the anchor line. As you get closer your self doubt will start to wane

On a liveaboard its most likely you'll have a guide with the group anyway, however be familiar with and carry a dsmb, so if all else fails and you get seperated you can launch the dsmb and surface under it, and let the taxi come collect you.

The Juliet does not have dive masters/guides in the water with you. Same on Aggressor. They may go in and look around, but they are not "leading" dives. My husband is excellent at navigation. Probably a big part of why I was lazy about learning myself. But I still don't like the feeling of not being competent. I think every diver should be able to take care of themselves - and their dive buddy - should the need arise! So after 15+ years of diving I am determined to learn navigation, at least an out and back scenario.

OP if you want to learn how to use a compass learn the basics on land. I was using a compass for hiking before I brought one into the water diving. I normally use my compass, topo landmarks, current, waves in the sand and surge directions, depth, and time to nav my shore dives. Nav on wrecks with a magnetic compass can be impossible. In fact a compass can be used to find your way back to wreck if you are lucky and haven't strayed too far and the current isn't ripping.

If I have a small target on return like the mouth of a cove I'll count my fins from the mouth of the cove to the 1st topo landmark and the return direction or azimuth, usually I don't surface until I'm back where I started the dive. While I'm standing in shallows post diving getting my land legs back, I see a lot of "spy hopping" by divers, like Orcas.

OP if you want to learn how to use a compass learn the basics on land. I was using a compass for hiking before I brought one into the water diving. I normally use my compass, topo landmarks, current, waves in the sand and surge directions, depth, and time to nav my shore dives. Nav on wrecks with a magnetic compass can be impossible. In fact a compass can be used to find your way back to wreck if you are lucky and haven't strayed too far and the current isn't ripping.

If I have a small target on return like the mouth of a cove I'll count my fins from the mouth of the cove to the 1st topo landmark and the return direction or azimuth, usually I don't surface until I'm back where I started the dive. While I'm standing in shallows post diving getting my land legs back, I see a lot of "spy hopping" by divers, like Orcas.

that is a good idea. I think I will go find my compass and see if I can "navigate" around in my back yard....

that is a good idea. I think I will go find my compass and see if I can "navigate" around in my back yard....

I could not agree with you more about being able to navigate on your own! I feel the same when I dive.

Practicing on land is a great way to keep up your skills. A few days before I did my advanced course I was in the dive shop chatting with the owner and we were talking about navigation. There was also a new student in there and he joined in on the conversation. The owner took us outside and went over some skills on land. He said he will put a towel over his students heads so they cannot see anything and have to solely rely on their compass to get around. lol. We also did some skills on land with our instructor right before the compass dive...

He also told us he does not like doing the advanced compass portion in clear water such as the Caribbean, ect because the students can see objects to well to help them navigate. Like i said before, in the quarry we could not see more than a foot or so in front of us. The skill where you swim in a box pattern and have to end up in the exact spot you started in was nerve wrecking not being able to see anything other than your compass but it was a great learning experience.

@Janie88 Instruction is probably the best option but here are a few points, the nuances of navigating can be hard to explain in a forum.
Are you comfortable using a compass on land? If not practice that a bit, as well as awareness of your surroundings. Some basic things to try; as you pass something that you consider a "landmark" such as a large rock, specific coral or other immovable object look back at it as you pass to see it from your returning perspective. Start with simple out and back, then move onto square or triangle patterns (depending on your needs). Set a preferred method for distance, I prefer gas used or time but fin kicks may work for you.

I could not agree with you more about being able to navigate on your own! I feel the same when I dive.

Practicing on land is a great way to keep up your skills. A few days before I did my advanced course I was in the dive shop chatting with the owner and we were talking about navigation. There was also a new student in there and he joined in on the conversation. The owner took us outside and went over some skills on land. He said he will put a towel over his students heads so they cannot see anything and have to solely rely on their compass to get around. lol. We also did some skills on land with our instructor right before the compass dive...

He also told us he does not like doing the advanced compass portion in clear water such as the Caribbean, ect because the students can see objects to well to help them navigate. Like i said before, in the quarry we could not see more than a foot or so in front of us. The skill where you swim in a box pattern and have to end up in the exact spot you started in was nerve wrecking not being able to see anything other than your compass but it was a great learning experience.

Compass Nav in 100' vis is almost like land nav! Pick an object shoot the azimuth and swim towards it. Can't do that in RI were 10' vis is rockin' and 3' can be more than not.

Back
Top Bottom