To go or no? (covid)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

As I said, Cozumel's new orange is a bit to the red side of the official QRoo orange while in implementation it seems to lean to the green side of yellow....

Basically there was an argument about whether it was orange or yellow because of the election. After the election the mayor agreed it was orange. People came around and told the restaurants they were going to enforce the 50% capacity thing. That also applied to dive boats.

But much like everywhere else, no one is listening. Boats are packed, restaurants are full.

We did last week try to wear our mask everywhere as that is the rule, but tourist and locals aren't all following it.

Which explains the increasing COVID cases on the island. But no one is going red, and even if they do, red isnt a complete closure now. Even the dive boats can operate at 15%.

If I wasn't vaccinated, I would be worried about mixing with people there. Vaccinated, I would go back tomorrow.

We were there last month, and we're going back on Tuesday. I'll post something when I return as an update. This will be our first time renting a house and I'm glad not to be at a resort. The time we will expose others or be exposed will be very limited - and it sounds like you will have a similar experience. I don't think there's much of a chance of Cozumel going to red - the cruise ships have returned and their economy so desperately needs tourists to return. I don't know if the covid numbers we're seeing are accurate anyway. We're vaccinated and will be cautious.

Here's to hoping we all get to go dive, eat and have great experiences to share (and don't lose any cameras this time). :wink:

I don't know if the covid numbers we're seeing are accurate anyway. We're vaccinated and will be cautious.

Completely anecdotal evidence, but I have been reading a lot of posts or talking to people who know someone in the hospital. And wear your mask in the airport. One group of employees there tested 30% positive last week...

:wink:

We were at Scuba Club June 9-29. Almost all locals in town were masked, most tourists not. Restaurants in town were about 1/2 full most nights. Mega and stores in town take temperatures on entry with masks required. Saw the one cruise ship in port on one day. I would be comfortable going back tomorrow.

We tipped everybody about double pre-Covid.

Is there a chance that you'll have to quarantine when you return home?

Maybe I should say, does the US have quarantine restrictions for certain countries? (Not from the US!)
The US only has the basic requirement of a test (including rapid antigen) 72 hrs prior to return. I came back last night from my second trip this month. The cost of a test (unless baked into you lodging cost) is down to around $25 USD or equivalent in any other major currency.
The odds of a false positive for a fully vaccinated person is pretty low. No federal quarantine or post travel testing after arrival.

Completely anecdotal evidence, but I have been reading a lot of posts or talking to people who know someone in the hospital. And wear your mask in the airport. One group of employees there tested 30% positive last week...

:wink:
I heard similar stories but when I ask if they were vaccinated I have always heard negative. I have also heard that the vaccination rate is climbing as suppiles are increasing.
Spoke with a lot other tourist and have yet to hear one say they weren't vaccinated.
Being that reckless is more a mainland thing

I heard similar stories but when I ask if they were vaccinated I have always heard negative. I have also heard that the vaccination rate is climbing as suppiles are increasing.
Spoke with a lot other tourist and have yet to hear one say they weren't vaccinated.
Being that reckless is more a mainland thing

Yea, like the airport, most everyone is fairly young there it seems so they haven't been eligible. I am sure you are right on the bad local cases not being vaccinated. I think the dive ops position is 'hey like everyone is vaccinated coming down, pshaw to the 50%!'

And I think they are really moving along on the vaccinations, especially with demand down in the US. With the number of seriously sick people up and all the vaccinated people not dying or growing the an extra arm and what not, the local vaccine hesitancy should drop some, don't you think?

It will be interesting to see how the numbers of COVID cases in Cozumel trend as the cruise ships return.

It will be interesting to see how the numbers of COVID cases in Cozumel trend as the cruise ships return.

Honestly, if anything, I would guess the cruise ship would only result in more cases through the interaction of local employees with each other to serve them, not the pod people themselves. And you know darn well the cruise line are doing everything they can to avoid a headline 'Covid breakout on cruise line kills grandpa'. They can't afford that right now.

As I understand, at least one of them is bubbling people. Only cruise approved excursion in Cozumel and no wandering around on your own due to the rising covid cases on the island. I wonder if they will be testing the local tour operators before the excursions?

Of course that also helps them with the money. $150 excursion and $20 to the local business and all....

I don't think that's true of Kinta. Kinta and Kondesa are owned by the same people, and I believe when things improve to the point where there is enough business to support them both, Kinta will reopen. All our other faves were open.

I'm sure there are exceptions... but I believe my statement is mostly true...

Back
Top Bottom