How much should I be spending on PADI training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I already know how to dive, 5 years ago i took the padi ow curse and did everything except the last ocean dive. I just want to get my cert so I can do boat diving. Thats why i am looking for the cheapest.
5 years is a long time.standards require re taking entire course which includes filling out all liability forms medical eLearning all quizzes final exam( most facilities use eLearning now if instructor was to do presentations course should be priced higher as it takes more time, can take as much as 5 hours longer

You are right, there is always something to learn! Last time I did it, it was in a classroom and I think that is more engaging. Almost all the dive shops around here do not do in person teaching. only a written test after you pass the e-learning.
When I started to use e learning I was not for it, I admit now how wrong I was. I find student now better prepared to start class.

When I started to use e learning I was not for it, I admit now how wrong I was. I find student now better prepared to start class.
That's what some of the instructors at the shop here said. The only course I took with e learning was that free SSI Sci. of Diving one a year ago. Was OK. I still like a book I can make notes in.

I still like a book I can make notes in.
And keep it.

E-learning's just as likely to disappear sometime in the future -- probably sooner rather than later -- or they'll attempt to charge you for it "would sir like a subscruption..."

And keep it.

E-learning's just as likely to disappear sometime in the future -- probably sooner rather than later -- or they'll attempt to charge you for it "would sir like a subscruption..."
Really doubt it will disappear. Just like a book, only digital it can be accessed at any time for review.can even view videos. My understanding Just cannot retake quizzes or exam.

Really doubt it will disappear. Just like a book, only digital it can be accessed at any time for review.can even view videos. My understanding Just cannot retake quizzes or exam.
You have a great deal of faith in the bean counters not trying to gouge you for more money or to continue to host your particular online course.

A book's not like that. It can sit on a shelf for years and at some future time you can pick it up and read it. Even if you're studying for some other course and wonder what that other agency thinks about something.

Then there's all the scribbled notes... It's like being transported back to those heady days when you did your first diving course...

I personally prefer e-learning. However, we can't count on anything online being available forever...or at least being easily accessible. For example, PADI updated their e-learning last year. I did my courses in 2019. If I log into my PADI account now it does show my certifications and my purchased courses. However, it also shows that I never completed any of those courses! So if I want to go back and find information from any of the courses, I have to hunt for all of the data and the PADI site is constantly prompting me to complete knowledge reviews. Sure, I don't necessarily NEED that course info, but it's a handy reference (particularly when my husband and I disagree about something that was taught in the e-learning).

Decompression theory and the way you manage decompression are two entirely different things. Mark Powell wrote an entire book (two editions) on decompression theory, and he never once mentioned how to use tables. With scuba instruction, a student should receive thorough instruction on decompression theory, after which he or she should be taught how to manage it, be it with tables or a computer.

As I have written many times before, if you did a a multi-level dive before your computer conked out, the tables will be pretty much useless to you as a backup, because your dive will likely have exceeded the limits.
If you do a square profile as I and many do and obviously know your max depth first dive from your analog gauge, tables would be useful for dive #2.

If someone is worried about flooding their computer, perhaps they’re in the wrong sport. They should stick with snorkeling.

Tables, schmables!
Agree. Unless most of your dives are rarely deeper than 30 feet, in which case why risk flooding the expensive thing.

regarding e-learning, it's great.. just look at RAID, all e-learning is free, you can download the pdf manual for free, do all the quizzes etc free..the manuals get updated every now and then so you can just login and download the latest versions if needed, no worries it will "disappear" in the future

Back
Top Bottom