How much should I be spending on PADI training?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Looking around at all the places in San Diego, CA. The cheapest I can find is around $500 for everything. I do have gear which is a little old but still works, I am thinking they will not let me dive with it until it is serviced. Is $500 too much for an OW course?
Around here (the bay area, Florida), scuba certification goes for around $350. $500 seems like a lot unless maybe it's a private 1 student and 1 instructor class. I've seen more expensive classes through GUI but they're an outlier. That price usually includes rental/loaner gear except mask booties fins and snorkel. It typically includes all the pool time/sessions but does not include the check-out dives which run $50-75 (paid to the boat, not the instructor). Also there's some books or online system access you have to pay for. Those tend to be around $50.

I've seen classes offered for a lot less, but I'm not sure I'd trust them.

If you can find a good instructor that will provide you with the the skills and knowledge to START your progression in scuba diving, $500 is a bargain.
Don't 'skimp' on it.
I spent more than that yesterday on a new cylinder and 'bit and pieces' at a dive shop , I had an another $200 burning a hole in my pocket when I looked at fins and other gear, so I closed my eyes and backed out.
$500. I say again, "Bargain".
Wait to see all the " bright shiny toys" you will want when you progress in diving.

Edit: Over 70 and still want "toys", sad is it not?:coffee:

I utilized my old fins for my OW cert last year, but bought everything else. In the end, even using some of my own equipment, it still came to around $500. I am pretty sure that it is the ballpark for initial certification.

Looking around at all the places in San Diego, CA. The cheapest I can find is around $500 for everything. I do have gear which is a little old but still works, I am thinking they will not let me dive with it until it is serviced. Is $500 too much for an OW course?

When I took the OW class in San Diego over 20 years ago, the cost was something like $350. If the cost had increased like the cost of housing in SD, you'd be paying a thousand bucks!

When I took the OW class in San Diego over 20 years ago, the cost was something like $350. If the cost had increased like the cost of housing in SD, you'd be paying a thousand bucks!

Agreed, and more, If you used the same housing analogy "Down Under" you would be paying more than $1.000, closer to $1.500.
IMHO , Still good value if you are taught right the first time and not turned out in a 'production line', quantity over quality to make up the short fall in $$$.
Just my opinion, I am not an economist.

According to this inflation calculator, $350 twenty years ago equals $523.77 today: Inflation Calculator | Find US Dollar's Value from 1913-2021

So, exponential growth of the SoCal housing market aside, $500 still seems pretty darn reasonable for a course.

Agreed, and more, If you used the same housing analogy "Down Under" you would be paying in access of $1.000.

I was being conservative, but I'm sure the OP gets my point. The dive industry seems reluctant to raise training prices even to keep pace with inflation.

I did an edit while you you were typing, sorry, but you are spot on Sir.

I would go with the cheapest unless the instructor is someone exceptional. Pick up the rest of the tips on YouTube, and always dive with someone more experienced than yourself.

Only person who can answer this is yourself. Here in NY $500 is cheap,even for private class. Where I am open water class is $299, plus $200 for eLearning, plus $350 for training dives which includes rental wetsuit 2 tanks bcd regulator computer total of &850. Student needs to own scuba quality mask fins boots snorkel, so figure in another $200-&250. Pool is 80 degree we recommend owning a 3mm wet suit of student chills easily we do not require it only recommend it . We do not rent suits for use in pool. Suit can cost $200-$259. No one can say this is an inexpensive activity.

Back
Top Bottom