WtF: The Decline in Scuba Participation

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

A 747 holds 63 thousands gallons of fuel and it takes about 35 thousands gallons for it to fly 10 hours. That’s just one plane. Granted there are smaller planes flying too.
With all the planes in the sky every day and all the travel logistics vacationing jet setting etc. how long do you think we as a planet can keep that up?

If I fly from Berlin to Maldives and back, distance is 15300km and I would cause 972 kg of CO2. I checked my app and since I started recording I have been driving 31625km and have produced 4679 kg co2. So driving is as bad. This is with an economical car with a small engine. I would guess that figure is double that in US with big vehicles.

If I fly from Berlin to Maldives and back, distance is 15300km and I would cause 972 kg of CO2. I checked my app and since I started recording I have been driving 31625km and have produced 4679 kg co2. So driving is as bad. This is with an economical car with a small engine. I would guess that figure is double that in US with big vehicles.
You have to add the materials used to build the car as well.
Tesla or similar? No differences still have to make battery and provide additional power points etc etc etc.
Energy can neither be created nor destroyed. First Law of Thermodynamics.

No time too expensive no money first world stories, $5 fill $5 petrol, local diving, used gear and an old Suunto

GenX here,

Not to down play the difficulties of making it in the modern world, and I fully believe the system is less "fair" then when I grew up, but having lived in houses with detached and shared restrooms as a child, it frustrates me that I get the impression often from gen Y/Zers that they think I was born with the means I have now.

I took student loans and worked full time through an engineering degree. I remember my boss buying me candy bars because I was too hungry to fill out shipping forms correctly at the warehouse. Just because I have means now does not mean I was born with it.

I was SCUBA certified for PE credit in high school, but couldn't dive the way I wanted until my mid thirties. At the time a week of gasoline cost me the same as a 80 of air, and minimum wage was something like $2/hour.

As this thread nears 200 posts, it may be time to get back onto the original post, which theorized that some of the decline in scuba participation may be due to the destruction of the beautiful diving spots that abounded when I was a new diver and spurred me to dive all around the world. Some people have speculated that much of this is due to poor diving skill damaging the reef, and I replied that reefs are dying that have had little contact from divers.

Here is an article that may be of interest.

Watching a coral reef die as climate change devastates one of the most pristine tropical island areas on Earth

I haven't read through all the pages in this thread but maybe the reason millenials and gen X, Y, Z'ers don't dive is they can't get a good cell phone signal underwater. :wink:

I haven't read through all the pages in this thread but maybe the reason millenials and gen X, Y, Z'ers don't dive is they can't get a good cell phone signal underwater. :wink:
Perhaps. I wish more of them would try...

As this thread nears 200 posts, it may be time to get back onto the original post, which theorized that some of the decline in scuba participation may be due to the destruction of the beautiful diving spots that abounded when I was a new diver and spurred me to dive all around the world. Some people have speculated that much of this is due to poor diving skill damaging the reef, and I replied that reefs are dying that have had little contact from divers.

Here is an article that may be of interest.

Watching a coral reef die as climate change devastates one of the most pristine tropical island areas on Earth

I mean diving activates are extremely localized as touristy dive positions are always the same, anyone blaming coral bleaching or overfishing on divers is a bit egoistical in his thinking, we can't really do that much damage even if we tried.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom