Ultramar Ferry suspended for exceeding capacity

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Came across this article on Ultramar, last month the owner and founder, German Orozco, passed away leaving the company in turmoil and financial straights. This may explain the failure to remit the tourist taxes on the Isla Mujeres-Cancun route and the strike by workers over not being paid last fall. The ferry business may get a little more interesting in the future. Perhaps the Ultramar / Winjet duopoly will end and actual competition will occur.

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...YQxfQBCGQwCQ&usg=AOvVaw1wre_KjExEgrT-_-vVpp5M

They are posting pictures daily of the long lines at the ferry, both in Playa and Cozumel but I think the lines are somewhat misleading - not saying the boats aren't full though. We used to be able to buy a ticket and go on into the terminal and wait on the boat but it seems like they are not letting people wait in the terminals anymore - sort of like trying to pass the buck on crowd control...

This has been going on way to freaking long - someone is getting a handout to keep business as it is - there is no reason at all for the problems.

They are posting pictures daily of the long lines at the ferry, both in Playa and Cozumel but I think the lines are somewhat misleading - not saying the boats aren't full though. We used to be able to buy a ticket and go on into the terminal and wait on the boat but it seems like they are not letting people wait in the terminals anymore - sort of like trying to pass the buck on crowd control...

This has been going on way to freaking long - someone is getting a handout to keep business as it is - there is no reason at all for the problems.

Surely the ferries don't own the terminals. Who are they to not let people wait there?

Last week I came into the airport and took a shuttle to downtown (the rental car companies have gotten control of the airport terminal parking so the shop can no longer spot me a vehicle) at 6:15 ( 15 minutes after the previous sailing) the line to get on the pier for the 7PM was backed down past Palmers

Just now seen a post on Facebook - the Feds asked the two companies to work together on the same days - Winjet agreed and Ultramar said no.....

If I was the Feds - I'd tell Ultramar to take their boats elsewhere or sell them to Winjet and not let them work at all, suspend their permits until they agreed to do it....

VOZ Urbana
2tSponhsloreehd ·

ULTRAMAR REJECT DAILY RUNS
#Cozumel. - The #Overseas ship refused to sign an agreement with the Federal Commission for Protection from Health Risks (Cofepris), to work every day together with the company #Winjet and thus to avoid agglomerations at the Cozumel and Beach docks Carmen.
Javier Toledo, coordinator of #COFEPRIS in the central area of Quintana Roo, regretted this decision and clarified that the Winjet company was willing to establish this agreement.

We went over to the mainland on Sunday, intending to take (Winjet), 12:00 pm ferry. We bought tickets at about 11:15, just as a ferry docked. There was already a significant line, but not a full boat load.

Humans and freight were quickly off-loaded, and re-boarding began by 11:35, departing at about 11:50. We did not make it far enough up the line to board.

I wasn't --- uh -- happy, but didn't see any options, so we stood in line to wait. Damned if in about 20 minutes, we saw another boat. It docked at about 12:15. We arrived in Playa at about 1:00 pm. We were, I'd guess, at a good strong 60% of capacity.

When we returned to the island on the so-called 5:00 pm ferry, that thing was PACKED.

Mask compliance, covering the nose and mouth, by Mexicans was very close to 100%, and at about 80% by those that I speculated were probably "Americans".

There was already a significant line, but not a full boat load.

Humans and freight were quickly off-loaded, and re-boarding began by 11:35, departing at about 11:50. We did not make it far enough up the line to board.
If not a boat load in line, why not?

Back
Top Bottom