Ambergris Caye fatality - Belize

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The Baby Boomers are in their late 60's and 70's.

Fixed it poorly. The current age for Boomers born 1946 yo 1964 would be 57-75.

Unless you have a weird sense of humor - I fixed it right... Read it again?

As someone who was diving in Belize from a live aboard, I wonder what went wrong here. Diving in Belize is quite easy when compared to other places so this accident makes me wonder. I think the boat captain trying to safe her by holding her hand points to the fact that either something went wrong with her equipment or she ran out of air. It would be interesting to know if she dumped her weights. Very sad indeed, rest in peace old lady.
I have only been to Ambergris cay once to dive. It was April of 2015. This was my first dive trip after being certified. The week I was there I was only able to dive off Ambergris 2 days due to the conditions. Those 2 days the seas where the roughest I have experienced while diving. The boat had to surf the waves to get past the reef. After surfacing from the dive, the boat would not be far away but I lost sight of it due to swells.

I have only been to Ambergris cay once to dive. It was April of 2015. This was my first dive trip after being certified. The week I was there I was only able to dive off Ambergris 2 days due to the conditions. Those 2 days the seas where the roughest I have experienced while diving. The boat had to surf the waves to get past the reef. After surfacing from the dive, the boat would not be far away but I lost sight of it due to swells.
I suppose that kind of weather is always a risk. It sounds like that Op shouldn't have gone out at all. I was there for a week in June 2004. The conditions were perfect every day, but the captain was the worst I've ever experienced. Ops have to do business to stay in business and sometimes they hire people who really should have been grounded.

I was impressed how the captain and crew were able to handle the conditions. Everyone had to remove their BCD and they got each diver on the boat one at a time. The reason I commented was to express that conditions are not always that same.

Regarding the upward trend in ages of both divers and diver fatalities:

Too many divers of all ages don't take dive medical screenings and physicals seriously. Either they check "no" where they should check "yes" because "no" means a trip to the doctor, a co-pay, and maybe a hassle before they get to take the course they want, or they take the form to a doctor who knows nothing about diving.

Some years ago, I took a dive physical form to my primary care manager. He admitted he knew nothing about diving and asked me what mattered.

"Well, breathing issues would be bad. Seizures would be bad. Meds that make you sleepy could be bad. Stuff like that."

"That makes sense, " he replied as he signed the form. "Here you go."

At the time, that was the outcome I wanted.

Over time, I realized that divers are supposed to be better at risk management than that.

Now I go to a dive physician who is not in my network (which means I pay most of the cost out of pocket), fully disclose my medical history, and let him discuss my risk profile and render an opinion. I owe that level of prudence to my wife.

If you're a DAN member, you can call and get a list of physicians in your area who know something about diving. And if you're not a DAN member? Join.

If you're a DAN member, you can call and get a list of physicians in your area who know something about diving. And if you're not a DAN member? Join.
If your a DAN member? If your not a DAN member? Exactly, JOIN.

Unless one has suplementary insurance that covers what DAN does, I'd go so far as to say anyone travelling (internationally) diving would be a fool to do so without it. A chamber ride and / or an evac flight does not come cheap!

I know I never left home without it. I had other insurance I used on the couple of bends treatments I took, but also having that DAN insurance just made me feel warm and fuzzy all over to. :cheers:

They had not lost sight of you though.

Back
Top Bottom