Negative (or Positive) Test using O2 sensors

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

stuartv

Seeking the Light
ScubaBoard Supporter
Scuba Instructor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I have always been dissatisfied with how I was taught to do the Negative Test on my rEvo at the end of the Closed Checklist. Pull a negative (how much is enough?), then wait a few minutes (how many is enough?), then open the DSV and I should hear a good rush of air (how much is good?).

That just seems too subjective, to me. And, I feel like a contributing factor to my recent near miss is that I have gotten used to doing negative tests where my unit was only passing with "Barely Acceptable" colors, so then when it probably should have been failed, the difference was so small I didn't recognize it, so I called it another Pass and went diving. And it slowly flooded during my dive.

Based on my other recent thread about that near miss, I learned that pulling a negative and monitoring O2 sensor mV readings is a way to bring some quantification to the process.

This thread is meant to help me work out some reasonable protocol I (and, hopefully, others) can use to track my CCR's ability to hold a negative and to identify when it is acceptable for diving versus not.

I'm really not sure how this protocol should be defined, so this post is really just to get the conversation started and then hopefully somebody that is much more knowledgeable and wiser will chime in and steer this thread down the right track.

As a starting point, and to try and determine if my unit actually has a leak, I performed this test just now.

I used my NERD2 monitor to monitor mV readings from 2 sensors. I closed my unit up, as it would be at the end of my Closed Checklist, and pulled a negative by sucking the air out orally, via the BOV.

Before I pulled the negative, both sensors were reading 10.3 mV.

After I pulled the negative and closed the BOV, they were both reading 9.3 mV.

I checked the readings periodically. At the 30 minute mark, they were still at 9.3 mV. At that point, I opened the BOV and heard a solid rush of air going in. I conclude that, at least on this test, my unit was holding a very good seal.

After the BOV was open, so the unit was fully back to ambient pressure inside, and after waiting a minute or so, my O2 sensor readings only went back up to 10.1.

At that point, I opened the scrubber and pulled the sensor tray out and then the readings went back up to 10.3.

My best guess of what was going on there is that 30 minutes was long enough (with no gas circulating in the loop) for the gas in the sensor tray to lose a little O2 - being consumed by the galvanic reaction in the 5 O2 sensors. So, until I opened the unit and pulled the tray out, the sensors were actually in gas that had a slightly reduced ppO2 from when I started the test, even though absolute pressure was back to where it started.

That suggests that the mV readings should have dropped slightly during the test. The fact that they stayed the same then (I think) means that the unit's seal was not perfect. It allowed enough outside air to leak into the loop for the rise in internal pressure to compensate for the O2 consumed, yielding a constant ppO2.

Even with that theory, I think the overall test result would considered a strong Pass.

So, anyone care to chime in on what a reasonable test protocol might be to determine a Pass/Fail on the Negative test?

- Check mV readings
- Pull negative
- Look for about a 10% drop in mV values
- Wait 5 minutes
- If mV readings have risen by 1% (of original value) or less, it's a Pass, other a Fail

Reasonable? Tweaks?

Example: starts at 10.3mV. Negative yields 9.3. 1% of original is 0.103mV. Call it 0.1. So, at 5:00, if the mV reading is 9.4 or less, it's a Pass. Otherwise, a Fail.

Should it allow for more rise in mV than that 1%? How much? Or is 1% too much?

In the headline, I said "or Positive". I said that because I'm thinking you could do the same thing except instead of pulling a negative, blow into it until the OPV pops, and then close the DSV and check the mV readings. They should be higher. But, how much higher would depend a lot on the OPV design and its spring tension. But, I guess you could still figure out what parameters values are "good" for your unit and use the O2 sensor mV readings in a similar way to test for positive pressure leaks.

However, my primary concern is working out a more objective way to do the Negative test that is called for in my rEvo Closed checklist. I have that and a Pre-jump checklist, and neither calls for ever doing a Positive test. Not that I'm saying one shouldn't be done. Only that the checklists don't call for it. At least, insofar as how I was trained to run the checklist. I do recall a post in my other thread saying that the OPV test in the Closed checklist is meant to be a positive pressure test.

I tried to do the test.

I did create a vacuum and my adv button was inside.

Sensor values:
14.8 14.1 14.7

I did slightly open my dsv until the adv button was in top position.

sensor values:
14.9 14.2 14.9

Normal vacuum test when checking adv button is good enough for me, this extra test doesn’t make sense for me.

I question the reliability and effectiveness of this.

Some issues I can see:
  • Cell readings change with age, so you will need to find new targets as this happens
  • Loop might not be filled with pure air, so you will need to make sure it is flushed correctly with air to get the same mV readings. Perhaps a little harder if your Dil is not air.
  • I don't think that everyone is able to "Suck" with the same force. If you manage to "Suck" harder, your loop will have a better vacuum and that will effect the readings. You also need to "Suck" consistently for consistent results.
I prefer using a mechanical method to verify a negative. The effectiveness of this might however depend on the specific rebreather. On the JJ, the ADV Diaphragm is held on very tightly with a negative for example- if you get the slightest wobble in the diaphragm it means you have a leak. The test can also be left for a very long time - I assemble the unit the night before and just leave the negative going overnight. I feel that this is reliable enough and using the mV is unnecessary and inconsistent.

I suggest using a manometer to measure the actual pressure to validate your theory.

using ppo2 as a proxy for pressure would suggest you age getting a 10% pressure drop (assuming the curve hits the origin). That seems like a lot to me, thinking os it like a 1m snorkel.

Some issues I can see:
  • Cell readings change with age, so you will need to find new targets as this happens
  • Loop might not be filled with pure air, so you will need to make sure it is flushed correctly with air to get the same mV readings. Perhaps a little harder if your Dil is not air.
  • I don't think that everyone is able to "Suck" with the same force. If you manage to "Suck" harder, your loop will have a better vacuum and that will effect the readings. You also need to "Suck" consistently for consistent results.
I prefer using a mechanical method to verify a negative. The effectiveness of this might however depend on the specific rebreather. On the JJ, the ADV Diaphragm is held on very tightly with a negative for example- if you get the slightest wobble in the diaphragm it means you have a leak. The test can also be left for a very long time - I assemble the unit the night before and just leave the negative going overnight. I feel that this is reliable enough and using the mV is unnecessary and inconsistent.

I have always done this as well I set my unit up the night be for and leave it in the negative test over night. It gives you a real positive (no pun intended) confidence in your negative test when you flip that leaver and hear your unit come to life knowing it did not leak all night long. Also as a JJ owner yes the ADV diaphragm is always a dead give away too if you have a leak.

My own version but done with the contents gauge. You will need to disconnect your ADV to do this. Turn on Dil cylinder, note contents e.g.205bar. Pull a neg for 5 minutes. Note has the contents figure dropped after the 5 minutes. Mine always drops approx 5 bar. As the gas volume is very small just in the HP Dil line, I am not concerned with a 5 bar drop. Anything bigger and I will investigate. This test is done in conjunction with assessing the sound of ambient pressure gas rushing back into the loop after opening the DSV when determining the validity of the loop under a Negative loop test.

JJ owner. As mentioned, our ADV diaphragm clearly and easily gives indication to the status of the negative pressure test. I was also taught to open then close the O2 valve and make note of the gauge pressure for negative testing. The pressure shouldn't drop.

Some issues I can see:

I think you missed my point.

I'm saying to check the mV readings with the unit closed - i.e. just prior to pulling a negative. Make sure they are stable. It doesn't matter what is in the loop (air or trimix).

Then you pull a negative and check the mV readings.

Then let it sit and check the readings again.

The only thing that matters is how much the readings changed in that few minutes. So, the only "aging" of the sensors that comes into play is the 5 minutes (or however long) of that actual test.

In my test, I had air inside the loop and my sensors showed 10.3mV. I sucked a negative down to 9.3mV.

If you do the same thing, you might have TX10/50 inside your loop. Before you pull the negative, you sensors might be showing 6.1mV. After you pull the negative, you might be seeing 5.4mV. Using my proposal of 1% of the original value means you'd be looking for a change of 0.06mV or less. Assuming the computer only shows a resolution of 0.1mV, that means you'd be looking to see that your sensors did not go above 5.5mV during the negative test.

And yes, I have a rEvo. If your JJ doesn't need the same kind of test, then, well, this kind of test is not for you. :D

Flush with O2 and do your positive check
Pull the negative with O2 in the loop and it will give you a better picture of what's going on in terms of pressure, essentially it gives you 5x the resolution.

When you do those checks will depend on when/how you calibrate/verify calibration *you are not calibrating on every assembly correct?* and whether or not your unit has a calibration kit. My Meg has a cal kit and because of the stupid internal battery box/power switch and inability to calibrate after some short amount of seconds of powering on, you really wanted to use it. My Sidekick doesn't have a cal kit, so I O2 flush and calibrate/verify calibration, then positive pressure check with O2. Once positive is passed, I pull a negative and the rebreather is stored in its negative state until I get to the dive site. The extra resolution to check is IMO worth the few cents of O2 used

@tbone1004

I understand that a neg test with O2 in the loop would give me 5x resolution. The question is, do I really need any more resolution than I'm getting with air? From a practical perspective, doing the negative test as the last step in my Build checklist - where I would not want to have O2 in the loop - is better. As the last step in the checklist, I can leave it negative for as long as I want, including for the ride to the dive site, if I want to. If do it right after the O2 flush step, then it's holding me up from finishing the checklist, much less moving on to other stuff.

Doing the neg test with O2 would not cost me any extra O2. I'm already doing an O2 flush to check/calibrate. I could pull a negative then without using any more O2. I'm just not sure it gives me any practical benefit. It seems like the resolution I'm getting is plenty adequate for a Pass/Fail.

What difference does it make if I calibrate my rEvo on every build? Let's say it was last calibrated at 50mV == 0.98 ppO2. I build it and do the O2 flush portion of the checklist. I check the sensor readings then to confirm they are showing approximately 0.98. If they are not, I calibrate. If they are and I calibrate anyway, all it does is store "50mV==0.98" in the internal calibration storage again. Who cares?

Back
Top Bottom