Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Do you honestly believe all those latest dive computers would provide any more essential information necessary to execute a safe recreational dive than those produced yrs ago? It is just a tool, won't make your dive any safer. ditto to BP/W.
What information do you need for diving only?
Technology makes eg. modern cars a lot safer, YES. Tiger Wood would probably not survive if that accident happened 20 yrs ago.

You can play around with all those GF factors or whatnot but NO manufacturer would dare to come out and claimed that its own product is absolutely safe! NOT even Shearwater.
Yes, plus I can see the Teric screen, it also has everything I want on the main screen. I started diving in 1971, no bcd, no SPG, nothing but a watch and memorized tables, dives weren’t square then any more than they are now, the computer factors all of that in including air and factors that in too, it’s been very reliable, I can down load logs with ease, not that I look at them but after years with the archaic IR crap it’s a treat. They really don’t cost that much if you don’t waste time and money buying second rate stuff, like your old computer they can last many years.

They really don’t cost that much if you don’t waste time and money buying second rate stuff, like your old computer they can last many years.
My ancient 23 yrs old Uwatec is still working. Money well spent and I can still read it even without my gauge readingmask!
Just remember what you want does not apply to others.
Scuba diving is just a recreational sport, no more and no less. And it has nothing to do with the spending power of the individual. Besides, there is NOTHING to brag about a dive computer.

The older units track your degassing between dives?
Also just the fact that they have a bigger simpler easy to read display and an intuitive system makes it safer for divers. I am not saying an experienced diver needs that but overall it does make diving safer for the average Rec Diver. Lastly the technology is just better. You typically don't have the issues that you had with previous older models. If what I am reading is right the Uwatec Pro had serious battery life indicator problems? At 40% the unit would just shutdown because it was actually dead? Fixes to issue like that make newer systems much safer or at the very least eliminate problems that could mess up your dive.
You are talking about the model which assumed the diver was breathing nitrox during SI.
Nothing is perfect, I change the battery myself when the battery power is on the low side. I also have a cheapo as back up during the dive.
Technology!!!! Shearwater admitted that they are using a "best guess........." on the first page of user manual.
What is the most worrying thought for any diver? DCS.

NO dive computer could make any dive safer. It is all down to the individual. Driving a super duper expensive car does not reflect the ability of the driver.

I am still waiting for a reply from anyone telling me that a Shearwater can offer additional information that I must have for scuba diving!!!! It has been a very long wait.

You are talking about the model which assumed the diver was breathing nitrox during SI.
Nothing is perfect, I change the battery myself when the battery power is on the low side. I also have a cheapo as back up during the dive.
Technology!!!! Shearwater admitted that they are using a "best guess........." on the first page of user manual.
What is the most worrying thought for any diver? DCS.

NO dive computer could make any dive safer. It is all down to the individual. Driving a super duper expensive car does not reflect the ability of the driver.

I am still waiting for a reply from anyone telling me that a Shearwater can offer additional information that I must have for scuba diving!!!! It has been a very long wait.

Your just dismissing a major battery life indicator issue as no big deal?
I think this is kind of a pointless argument. I have seen this argument many times in reef keeping. I also keep reef Aquariums and I know that some guys keep $15K worth of fish and corals alive using no automation and just pure man power and skill and I also know many guys that invest in the best equipment and Automation because it's typically problem free and works reliably and prevents the occasional brain fart mistakes that even skilled owners make.
No one approach is right but if your going to do it all by hand or use old or low end equipment your much more likely to run into problems. It's obvious that you have some kind of axe to grind with Shearwater or maybe just people who spend money on expensive equipment. Nothing new about that, I see it all the time.

Your just dismissing a major battery life indicator issue as no big deal?
I think this is kind of a pointless argument. I have seen this argument many times in reef keeping. I also keep reef Aquariums and I know that some guys keep $15K worth of fish and corals alive using no automation and just pure man power and skill and I also know many guys that invest in the best equipment and Automation because it's typically problem free and works reliably and prevents the occasional brain fart mistakes that even skilled owners make.
No one approach is right but if your going to do it all by hand or use old or low end equipment your much more likely to run into problems. It's obvious that you have some kind of axe to grind with Shearwater or maybe just people who spend money on expensive equipment. Nothing new about that, I see it all the time.
The battery indicator in my Uwatec never ever bother me a bit. Need not worry about that and keep the condescending attitude to yourself.
Shearwater is NOT any more safer than any low tec dive computers. Period.
Shearwater could not offer any more necessary information regarding diving than any run of the mill cheapo. Do you know any? NO Shearwater owner could ever reply that question.
Do not change the subject on anything other than dive computer.

I have never ever made any -ve comment on Shearwater other than suggesting that there are alternatives costing a fraction of them. Look it up!

You comment is typical reply from most Shearwater owners who regarding their purchase was the BEST. Anyone who has different approach is WRONG.

It was DIR/GUE, Jet fin, BP/W and over last few yrs it has been Shearwater in SB.
There are a lot lot more divers who have nothing to do with all those few things that I have just mentioned.

My ancient 23 yrs old Uwatec is still working. Money well spent and I can still read it even without my gauge readingmask!
Just remember what you want does not apply to others.
Scuba diving is just a recreational sport, no more and no less. And it has nothing to do with the spending power of the individual. Besides, there is NOTHING to brag about a dive computer.
So the computer you bought 23 years ago was the cheapest you could find, got it.

So the computer you bought 23 years ago was the cheapest you could find, got it.
Mostly expensive computers are a waste of money.

For the difference in cost between an entry level computer from Suunto, Cressi or who ever and a top of the range computer from Shearwater or Garmin you can have a week long liveaboard or a drysuit. Even if you need deco gas capability you can buy that for vastly less.

Obviously there people who can afford the expensive computer, the expensive drysuit, the $10k go get to Bikini and so forth. However the people I generally meet are much younger and have pressure on their spending. They are much better off spending as little as possible on a computer and buying a drysuit that fits. A drysuit actually enables diving here while a fancy computer is just a fancy computer with no practical benefit. If diving warm places is your thing, would you rather have a week in the Red Sea with a Suunto or 20 year old UWatec or rather own a Teric in a drawer?

Number one thing to do to be a good diver is to go diving.

In the UK we have temperate waters. Being warm and comfortable is a must. There are a small number who are comfortable in a wetsuit. However, these are a minority, even in the summer, they often miss the second boat dive because they are still chilled.

Spend the money on a 'dry' drysuit, basic kit a simple computer and most importantly, going diving.
You can 'upgrade' the computer later as required. Most regular divers have two, a basic model (backup) and potentially something a little more exotic to match their more 'adventurous' diving.

Dive computer models are changing quite quickly at the moment. New features being added, decompression algorithms changing. If you are starting out now, by the time you need the 'advanced' features, there will be a whole new generation of computers. You would do better spending £1000 on diving than having a £1000 tied up in a computer.

Just as @KenGordon says above.

Do you know how much I paid for that computer back in 1997?
Inflation Calculator. Value of $400 in Today's Dollars, by Year
About US$650.00 in today money.
And I have two but one of them died few yrs ago.
More than enough to buy 2 x Shearwater Teric today and still has about $400.00 left in my pocket.
Yes I am very tight with money 23 yrs ago!
You do not know what you do not know!
You really believe your $450.00 toy is a kind of status symbol?
What a clown!

Identifying Decompression Risk Factors

Interesting read.

CPSC, Mares America Corp. Announce Recall of Guardian Dive Computers
$400.00 for the Mares Guardian back in 1997.

You comment is typical reply from most Shearwater owners who regarding their purchase was the BEST. Anyone who has different approach is WRONG.
Actually, I think you have this backwards. Maybe I missed something, but I don’t recall any Shearwater owners saying different approaches are wrong. You are the one that called divers suckers for spending more than you did on a computer.

I, and others, on this thread have been saying that other divers may want something other than a 23 year old Uwatec. You do some mental gymnastics, and read that as saying that every diver must use a Shearwater or they are bad divers.

Then you keep reverting back to your stance that newer computers (notice I didn’t say just Shearwater) don’t display any more relevant information than your Uwatec. You seem to not understand that there are other features that some divers may want. You don’t, and that’s fine, but you don’t speak for all divers. Nor do I. However, looking at all the options for dive computers out there, it appears that many are looking for additional features. Many DCs today offer color screens, air integration, Bluetooth, and other features. If a diver wants to use those features, that doesn’t make him or her wrong, nor does it make them a better or worse diver. It’s just a personal preference.

While the basic information is the same, the way it is displayed is different. As I mentioned, if I see any of that information in yellow or red, that is something that needs attention. I don’t believe your computer can do that. That, and some of the other non-diving features are important to me, and I don’t mind paying extra for it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom