Dive Computer Recommendations

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@rycyt -- see, you don't want a "beginner", nor a "beginner-advanced" dive computer at no extra cost. What you want is a Shearwater dive computer for $500 or for $1,000. I bet you'd never known it, had you not asked us helpful folks here.

thats pretty much it. Never even heard of Shearwater prior to doing my research but I’m glad you helpful people on here introduced me to that.

Have you used one? Or any Shearwater?

My Shearwater is definitely better than any of the other computers I’ve used in the past. You clearly want a basic cheap computer. Others don’t.
Diving with a 23 yrs old Uwatec and it has everything that I need for recreational diving. Shearwater does not offer any extra that my ancient could not provide.
"Others"!!!! There are a lot more non-Shearwater users in the whole world.

https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Perdix-Operating-Instructions-Manual.pdf

Their words: You are really risking your life with this activity.

NO dc is absolutely safe.

I would not say Peregrine is a much better computer if it is costing nearly double of the others. And also it does NOT provide any additional essential information necessary for the dive.
Calculating of ndl, simple deco algorithm if accidentally violated the ndl, max death of the dive reached, time lapsed of the dive, limited logged dive( to write or down load afterward). user replaceable battery, single mix of nitrox up to 40%.

You just pay more for bell and whistle.
In my opinion you pay more for a bright, colourful, easy to read screen. This for me is 90% of the value of a computer, as if I cannot read the display, it becomes entirely useless! So, if I had enough money, I would get a more expensive computer mostly for getting a good screen. I do not care so much about algorithm, gas mixtures (I only use air), GF or all those irrelevant bells and whistles. The screen is what matters!
I need to see the current depth, the max depth, the running dive time and the time remaining before deco. Nothing else!
The Leonardo gives me this info, and it is all that I need. If the screen was larger, better and colourful it would be perfect!

In my opinion you pay more for a bright, colourful, easy to read screen. This for me is 90% of the value of a computer, as if I cannot read the display, it becomes entirely useless! So, if I had enough money, I would get a more expensive computer mostly for getting a good screen. I do not care so much about algorithm, gas mixtures (I only use air), GF or all those irrelevant bells and whistles. The screen is what matters!
I need to see the current depth, the max depth, the running dive time and the time remaining before deco. Nothing else!
The Leonardo gives me this info, and it is all that I need. If the screen was larger, better and colourful it would be perfect!
In another word, you will not spend un-necessary money on a bright, colourful easy to read pc if you do not have any problem reading it.
How about this:
DGX Gears Ren Gauge Reader Mask
Only US$50.00.
I have TWO.

Other than the 4 data mentioned what additional crucial information would diver need under water?

Diving with a 23 yrs old Uwatec and it has everything that I need for recreational diving. Shearwater does not offer any extra that my ancient could not provide.
I disagree. Most more modern computers offer extra features that your 23 year old Uwatec does not. You might not find those features, or bells and whistles useful, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t there. Plenty of other divers might find those features useful.

Pretty sure your Uwatec doesn’t have Bluetooth, a color screen, and an easily replaceable (or rechargeable) battery. I, and I’m sure others as well, find these features useful.
"Others"!!!! There are a lot more non-Shearwater users in the whole world.

https://www.shearwater.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/01/Perdix-Operating-Instructions-Manual.pdf

Their words: You are really risking your life with this activity.

NO dc is absolutely safe.
By others, I was referring to divers using any more modern computer. Not exclusively Shearwater.

I don’t recall anyone saying that your computer was less safe than my Shearwater. It’s certainly less customizable, but not necessarily unsafe.

In another word, you will not spend un-necessary money on a bright, colourful easy to read pc if you do not have any problem reading it.
How about this:
DGX Gears Ren Gauge Reader Mask
Only US$50.00.
I have TWO.

Other than the 4 data mentioned what additional crucial information would diver need under water?
Sure. Those readers can work. I’d rather not use them. My eyesight is still pretty good. I don’t wear corrective lenses, and I’d rather not attach magnifiers to my mask. That’s just my opinion. Not knocking your choice, it’s just not for me.

I’ve got the option to display a bunch of different information that might be useful. Mine is AI, so tank pressure is pretty important. I also know that if I look at my computer, and see something in yellow or red, I know it’s something I need to pay attention to.

Can you use Bluetooth under water? Plenty of divers don't even logged their dives.
Can you name any feature that I would absolutely require under water that my 23 yrs old Uwatec does not provide? I have the answer for you: ZERO.

Plenty of divers might find those features useful!!!! Of course but what is that going to do with me? I am only giving my own personal opinion.

There are more divers using Cressi, Mares, Oceanic, SP, Sunnto etc etc.

Can you use Bluetooth under water? Plenty of divers don't even logged their dives.
Of course they can’t use Bluetooth underwater. That’s not the point. Plenty of divers do log their dives, and might find it useful. I personally download to my phone at the dive site. GPS location from my phone is then tagged to the log. Can’t do that without BT.

Can you name any feature that I would absolutely require under water that my 23 yrs old Uwatec does not provide? I have the answer for you: ZERO.

Plenty of divers might find those features useful!!!! Of course but what is that going to do with me? I am only giving my own personal opinion.
Require is the key word here. But that could be expanded. You don’t really require a dive computer at all. It’s more of a want.

You keep making this thread about your wants (not needs), but it wasn’t you who started this thread. The OP asked for recommendations. You are entitled to your opinion, as are other divers. Many of those other diver find those features useful. Do they need them? No. But they probably want them.

There are more divers using Cressi, Mares, Oceanic, SP, Sunnto etc etc.
And? I don’t recall anyone on here saying that more divers use Shearwater than any other brand. In this thread, I actually recommended Oceanic as well. While I’ve only used Oceanic, I know that most, if not all, of those brands you mentioned offer features similar to those I’ve mentioned. Those features you don’t need or want. That’s fine.

We are all here to give our OWN opinion not others.
There is a huge difference between need and want!
Bluetooth has absolutely no use in diving alone.

I do need a dive computer for diving because it is required by law in Philippines(my favourite). Table is too troublesome for multi dives per day. A good quality water proved timing device is more or less costing the same as a cheapo dc.
I was diving in Queensland on a LoB and the boat policy was 18m for anyone who was NOT using computer!!
I can give you more examples why I NEED a simple dc.

It’s an interesting phenomenon how people get so weird about the price of a very capable dive computer with an excellent very readable screen, even for old eyes, claiming anything over $100 is totally nuts, yet have no problem paying 3k for a bag to sometimes stay dry, 1k for a regulator using decades old technology and walk in a store and plunk down a few hundred bucks for someone else to switch out some plastic parts every year or two, pay a few hundred for fins but oh my I don’t need a good reliable device telling me a bunch of handy information.

It’s an interesting phenomenon how people get so weird about the price of a very capable dive computer with an excellent very readable screen, even for old eyes, claiming anything over $100 is totally nuts, yet have no problem paying 3k for a bag to sometimes stay dry, 1k for a regulator using decades old technology and walk in a store and plunk down a few hundred bucks for someone else to switch out some plastic parts every year or two, pay a few hundred for fins but oh my I don’t need a good reliable device telling me a bunch of handy information.
There are always suckers who are happily paying over the odd for anything imaginable including dive computer.

Back
Top Bottom