Are you an EXPERIENCED recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Providing that you have enough gas to surface, is it safe to breath air at 10 bars while surfacing?
When it's out of the reg, it's at ambient pressure. So, no worries.

When it's out of the reg, it's at ambient pressure. So, no worries.
Even if the second stage is free flowing?

Even if the second stage is free flowing?
Yes. If the gas isn't contained in some kind of vessel, it will be at ambient pressure. Physics.

Yes. If the gas isn't contained in some kind of vessel, it will be at ambient pressure. Physics.
You mean Venturi/ Bernoulli? Did not strike me at first. I don’t know how a regulator works. I will learn. Thanks.

I don't remember the time to empty a cylinder with a low pressure, 2nd stage free flow, it is not that long. I'm sure someone will be able to supply the reference. It's some small number of minutes.

Depends on the freeflow. Can be strong or just some bubbles.

There was a video on YT where someone cut the LP hose. The gas loss is similar to the worst freeflow. The tank was empty in minutes( cant remember the exact time. Was like 2 minutes).

I had a freeflow only once, where the gas loss was not that big. But i can't tell any numbers, because i turned the gas off and continued on my second reg.
Which is actually the right thing to do. So i dont risk going OOA.

The gas is of course ambient pressure, once its out of the reg.

Here's a question... let's say your second stage freeflows... I know you can sip on it to get air. Has anyone ever sipped on it to the surface?

Many accidents happen because people start doing stupid things when they experience mental stress.

What keeps you safe is confidence in your skills and the ability to keep you head calm at times of distress - whatever may have happened. Now, a diving buddy can be of great help too, but only if you are in a mental state capable of accepting help.

There are two ideologies: prepare well enough to never experience a problem OR experience enough slight problems to build confidence (but not too much!) to be able to operate correctly in difficult situations. Two opposite goals, I know. You will need confidence and calmness, and a good buddy is very usefull too!

Your air on your back your emergency air on your buddys back
Yes!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom