Are you an EXPERIENCED recreational diver?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I was trained for this using an agent that caused one to vomit so we would know the feeling and what to do. Feeding the fish underwater can be fun even when you have no choice about it. Of course you can vomit through your reg and knowing that you will have that urge to puke without control you learn that maybe holding that reg in is a good thing. Uncontrolled vomiting is uncomfortable but you can deal with it It will happen one a dive and the experience will be good for you. Whatever caused you both to be ill needs to be checked out. Bad food? People react differently and if you had food poisoning from bad food could be sick for a couple of days. If you suspect bad air then perhaps you recover in several hours.

Were you feeling sick before the dive? If so then perhaps not bad air from tanks. If you were well before the dive then perhaps bad air. You should bring that up with the dive operation as they may want to check their equipment could be bad filters. Did you notice if the air from the tank tasted or smelled strange before the dive?
I was not feeling very good before but not to the point that I felt like calling the dive (my wife had left one window open and I fought the mosquitoes all night).
My problem with throwing out which does not happen often (a couple of times a year) is that the first two spasms almost knock me down. Just like something was tearing my lungs.

For me If I was that sick and wanting to end the dive I would have done so immediately and not waited for the end of the dive. Your thoughts telling you that you want the end of the dive can be heeded right away. Also one thing, for me it seems your wife waits for your decisions and does not make her own as she follows you. She too needs to know she can call a dive at any time and not wait.
Vomiting can be unpleasant and the first time if unexpected can come as a shock when you are still on a dive.

Am am not saying you did anything wrong by finishing the dive but ignoring warning signs is why people can get into incidents they would rather avoid. Hope you are both feeling better.
I clearly did something wrong. I should have stopped right away. But the dive in itself was very nice. The scenery, wonderful. I realized that my wife did not want to frustrate me and was relieved when I told her that I would not come with her for the second dive. She knows she can call a dive at anytime but as we have been in it together since the beginning, for her, it was like, breaking a magical spell. Of course, this is is non sensical but marriage is not always logical. Once again, a good lesson learnt. If I am not 100%. I don't even try. I take a Caipirinha and wait for the next day. Also, I have trouble eating anything at breakfast (just not hungry) so afternoon dives are better for me than morning dives.

I clearly did something wrong. I should have stopped right away. But the dive in itself was very nice. The scenery, wonderful. I realized that my wife did not want to frustrate me and was relieved when I told her that I would not come with her for the second dive. She knows she can call a dive at anytime but as we have been in it together since the beginning, for her, it was like, breaking a magical spell. Of course, this is is non sensical but marriage is not always logical. Once again, a good lesson learnt. If I am not 100%. I don't even try. I take a Caipirinha and wait for the next day. Also, I have trouble eating anything at breakfast (just not hungry) so afternoon dives are better for me than morning dives.

OK so we know it was not bad air as you were ill before the dive. Sometimes people who are close to each other don't want to stop the others enjoyment so may not call a dive. That's why it's good to maybe join in groups of 4 so you and your wife can have different dive buddies on the same dive. I like this thread are you an experienced diver. It's easy for people like me who have been diving a long time to know really. I call my self a proficient capable diver. One forum member wrote that I think like a solo diver yet I am not certified as one. Nice compliment. You've done a lot of courses in a short time. Good and bad experiences will build up over time.
In my first years I too continued on dives when I really should have not. Some were stretching my ability and I was a little dependent on my dive leader. But we need this experience to learn and understand.

By the way don't be afraid of chumming the water and fish feeding from vomiting. Once you have done that you will find it's quite manageable. I do it from time to time. Quite funny to see the reactions of divers who have never done it watch me. My regular buddies just ignore me because if I am heaving and they can hear me then I am still alive. :)

That's why it's good to maybe join in groups of 4 so you and your wife can have different dive buddies on the same dive.

Um no... I dove with three others, a married couple and an assigned dive buddy. The wife's camera housing flooded, so instead of continuing to dive with her husband, she wanted to buddy with me. She was into selfies. He was into taking photos of critters. On that dive, she kept swimming into my shot and requesting a photo, which I'm guessing her husband wouldn't oblige...

Um no... I dove with three others, a married couple and an assigned dive buddy. The wife's camera housing flooded, so instead of continuing to dive with her husband, she wanted to buddy with me. She was into selfies. He was into taking photos of critters. On that dive, she kept swimming into my shot and requesting a photo, which I'm guessing her husband wouldn't oblige...

Stuff like that happens. Not nice when people try and swim into your shot though unless preplanned. Dody still needs to get experience diving with others and many dives will bring him good fun and good memories. I have become friends and regular diving companion with several people I met as instabuddies,

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom