Questions about twinsets.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In this case, because of your attitude toward your buddy, I would never be your buddy.

SeaRat
That's fine with me, realistically though, if I'm doing a serious dive with doubles, I'd more than likely also have stage. So I'm the event of a need to share air, once I'm above the mod, I'm switching to my deco gas regardless and they can have at it on the back gas. Otherwise I'd assume it's a relatively safe direct accent and wouldn't expect them to blow through half of the back gas before hitting the surface.

To each their own, it's not really an attitude towards a buddy as much as it is an attitude of self preservation, and realistically if they blew through the isolated tank and we were near the surface of course I'd make an attempt to save them as well, but it would really depends on circumstances.

Realistically a dive like that, most likely buddy and I have stage bottles, and my back gas just has to get us to the MOD of the deepest stage, which I presume would be relatively easy.

So I have a question, if you have two tanks connected with a manifold, do the pressures form each tank combine? For example lets say that in each tank there is 3000 psi and 100 cubic feet of atmospheric air, and lets assume that both gasses have identical proportions of other gasses that make up air (nitrogen, noble gasses, etc). Lets say the manifold runs into a pressure gauge halfway between two tanks. Will the pressure displayed on the gauge be 6000 psi or 3000 psi?

That was my first question...

Here is the second question. Since I want to get into technical diving, which includes twinsets, side-mounts and etc. Please provide me with an idea of how things work. Does each side-mount run a separate 1st stage and 2nd stage regulator, or are they connected together? Also, do twinsets run off of one regulator or two separate ones?

Thank you.
Since it looks like you have just begun diving, with less than 25 dives, I suggest that you hold off on technical diving until you have more experience with diving itself. Keep asking questions like these, but instead of rushing into more equipment (like twinsets), get more dives under your belt. You are in Florida, in one of the prime diving spots in the world. Explore the coral reefs, dive blue water, get to the springs (not caves, but the really fabulously clear springs), start watching fish, pick up an inexpensive underwater camera and start recording your dives with still and video photography, look at some of the efforts to restore coral, and basically get an underwater education of all that recreational Scuba has to offer. Then, if you want to get into technical diving (deep decompression diving, cave diving, diving under ice--though you'll have to leave Florida for that), then jump into it. Realize that the types of double rigs talked about here foe technical diving will require relatively huge expenses in both money and time. After researching it and increasing your experience, you'll know better what you want, and can then spend your money and time more wisely.

SeaRat

I mentioned to you that Sam Miller had sent me the outline of an early backplate. Well, I found this photo of it, and thought you'd like to see it:

47475631381_24699d2035_k.jpg
IMG_0009 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

I'll let Sam explain it more here.

John

I mentioned to you that Sam Miller had sent me the outline of an early backplate. Well, I found this photo of it, and thought you'd like to see it:

View attachment 606462IMG_0009 by John Ratliff, on Flickr

I'll let Sam explain it more here.

John
I'm curious as to what sheet of metal was used, how it was cut, bent into shape, etc..

The first one was supposed to have been a road sign, not sure how it was obtained.
I’ve heard that. Would be a great piece of history if it is still around

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom