Extension hose for wireless air transmitter

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

SHaase

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
200 - 499
I'm looking to get an extension hose for my wireless air transmitter. I have seen some people recommend a 6" hose and that seemed like it would be great, and would make picking up my tank a bit easier as well. For this purpose, is there a difference between braided and rubber? Rubber seems like it might be better but I *just* replaced my rubber hoses with braided and haven't yet dived with them yet so don't have a good feel for them yet. Do I need to get a swivel as well?

Some background: I have a Mares Icon HD and have been using a wireless transmitter with it for several years. I recently dropped them off at my local dive shop since I had been having transmission issues which made the transmitter completely useless on my last trip to Maui. Basically, the transmitter worked fine - but only up to a distance of about 6" from the computer. I replaced the batteries on both the transmitter and DC multiple times but nothing helped. My dive shop sent it into Mares and they just gave me a brand new transmitter (woot!). I have no idea what was actually wrong with the transmitter or why it stopped working, but it has always seemed fragile having it directly attached to the 1st stage and it has always made picking up my tank a bit awkward. I'm always very careful with it, but I always worry when boat diving that the deck hand may use it to move the tank. Lastly, as much as I really like my wireless air integration, I've actually had very poor luck with it - to the point where I actually am happily surprised when it works as expected. As such, I always have an analog SPG on my rig and I can't count how many dives that has saved (several dozen, at least).

I prefer 4 inches, but 6 inches works.
The MARES AI system does not seem as robust as the PPS system used by Oceanic, Aqualung, Shearwater, etc.

With regards to the type of hose: braided or rubber...get whichever is less expensive. The 6-inch hose is not long enough for it to matter.

If by swivel you mean a high-pressure spool like that in a spg...no you don't "need" one as the transmitter does not need to rotate...the o-ring on the transmitter should provide the seal required to keep the hose/transmitter interface watertight. I have a Suunto Vyper Air computer with wireless transmitter, up until a couple of years ago these did not use spools whether attaching to the first stage directly or via hose...now Suunto provides a HP spool that acts as an airflow restrictor for when attaching the transmitter to a hose and a different type of airflow restrictor when attaching it directly to the 1st stage.

-Z

With regards to the type of hose: braided or rubber...get whichever is less expensive. The 6-inch hose is not long enough for it to matter.

If by swivel you mean a high-pressure spool like that in a spg...no you don't "need" one as the transmitter does not need to rotate...the o-ring on the transmitter should provide the seal required to keep the hose/transmitter interface watertight. I have a Suunto Vyper Air computer with wireless transmitter, up until a couple of years ago these did not use spools whether attaching to the first stage directly or via hose...now Suunto provides a HP spool that acts as an airflow restrictor for when attaching the transmitter to a hose and a different type of airflow restrictor when attaching it directly to the 1st stage.

-Z
I think you MUST use a spool on a transmitter on a hose; the female end of the hose is not the same as the female hole in the first stage, and the spool is needed to seal the opening. That's my understanding, but I'm sure the heavies on SB will chime in.

Use whatever hose you prefer.

My Suunto transmitter requires a specific spool. (Different from when the Tank Pod is attached directly to the first stage)

Use whatever hose you prefer.

My Suunto transmitter requires a specific spool. (Different from when the Tank Pod is attached directly to the first stage)

Yes, but that is only since they did the recall of the transmitters...before the recall there was no spool that I recall.

-Z

I'm looking to get an extension hose for my wireless air transmitter. I have seen some people recommend a 6" hose and that seemed like it would be great, and would make picking up my tank a bit easier as well. For this purpose, is there a difference between braided and rubber? Rubber seems like it might be better but I *just* replaced my rubber hoses with braided and haven't yet dived with them yet so don't have a good feel for them yet. Do I need to get a swivel as well?

Some background: I have a Mares Icon HD and have been using a wireless transmitter with it for several years. I recently dropped them off at my local dive shop since I had been having transmission issues which made the transmitter completely useless on my last trip to Maui. Basically, the transmitter worked fine - but only up to a distance of about 6" from the computer. I replaced the batteries on both the transmitter and DC multiple times but nothing helped. My dive shop sent it into Mares and they just gave me a brand new transmitter (woot!). I have no idea what was actually wrong with the transmitter or why it stopped working, but it has always seemed fragile having it directly attached to the 1st stage and it has always made picking up my tank a bit awkward. I'm always very careful with it, but I always worry when boat diving that the deck hand may use it to move the tank. Lastly, as much as I really like my wireless air integration, I've actually had very poor luck with it - to the point where I actually am happily surprised when it works as expected. As such, I always have an analog SPG on my rig and I can't count how many dives that has saved (several dozen, at least).
To. each their own AI transmitter damage when directly connected to 1st stage

Where do you want the transmitter? Where is the regulator? Get the length of hose to span the gap. That will be the correct length for you. Doesn't matter what others are getting, get what fits your needs.

Braided or rubber is your preference. MiFlex even has a carbon line that is smaller diameter. Someone also has one with a stainless overbraid. Whatever you want it to be. But you will need a spool for it to seal.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom