Are nitrox classes really necessary in Indiana?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Tyler najib

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Well I’m taking the course and for 100$ more I can get a nitrox class, I am still considering it and wandering if it’s really necessary in Indiana? Or if it’s necessary at all

I would suspect not if you are doing local lake/quarry type diving. If you intend on travelling then I would recommend doing it

I mainly want to do this in lakes but whenever I’m on vacation I wouldent mind scuba diving, I have always been fascinated by cystal clear waters and would love to dive in the bahamas. But nitrogen narcosis freaks me out quite a bit

I mainly want to do this in lakes but whenever I’m on vacation I wouldent mind scuba diving, I have always been fascinated by cystal clear waters and would love to dive in the bahamas. But nitrogen narcosis freaks me out quite a bit

oxygen and nitrogen are considered comparably narcotic. Most courses/instructors only talk about nitrogen narcosis, however nitrox will not change any of the affects. CO2 narcosis is actually far more likely of a culprit than nitrogen narcosis in recreational diving.

You mentioned in another thread that you're a little strapped for cash and mostly interested in shallow local dives for now. Based on that, I would kick the Nitrox can down the road. It's a quick and easy course you can take on vacation if/when you find the lack of it is holding you back. It's mostly useful for repetitive dives in the 60-100 foot range. A Nitrox fill at my local shop is twice the price of an air fill, so even though I'm certified (and able to spend a horrifying amount of money on diving), I still mostly dive air locally. I'm still glad I took the course; I just don't think it needs to be your top priority.

Yes, it depends on your depth. If the quarries are shallow-- like 30' or a little more, you will probably get low on air, tired, cold, or maybe bored as reasons to end a dive. More bottom time on a 2nd dive may not be worth the (what I think is significantly) higher cost of Nitrox fills. Deeper dives, different story.
Yes, Nitrogen & Oxygen are said to have the same narcotic effect. And of course if you go too deep for the % ("partial pressure") of O2 in your Nitrox you risk convulsions, loosing your 2nd stage and drowning, but you probably know that.

It sounds like you need to take the class. Nitrox has nothing to do with narcosis.

Well I’m taking the course and for 100$ more I can get a nitrox class, I am still considering it and wandering if it’s really necessary in Indiana? Or if it’s necessary at all
In your case, I'd pass on the Nitrox course at this time. Unless, perhaps, there was a significant discount associated with adding it to your OW class.

It's a good course to add down the road, but really not required, especially if your dives are quite shallow. Your dives will probably be limited by air supply more than NDL.

Finish the OW course, then do some dives that would be typical. Understand what your NDL is at those typical depths, and also get a feel for your air consumption during those dives. If you find yourself ascending because your NDL was getting low, but still had plenty of air, then Nitrox might be a good option. If, on those typical dives, the dive is limited by gas supply, then Nitrox wouldn't be much of a benefit.

Nitrox is generally not much of a benefit on single dives. If doing multiple dives, it may be a benefit as you could be NDL limited on those 2nd and 3rd dives of the day.

There are some topics that just never get boring on SB. Unfortunately this is not one of them. Will someone please say that nitrox induces a feeling of post-dive euphoria with life in general and get that over with too.
Before nitrox, I just wanted to sleep all day after diving. Now, my wife doesn’t know how to handle my appetite after three tanks! *looks and smiles at the camera* THANKS NITROX!

Back
Top Bottom