We have something to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

If you want a computer with the size screen of a Peregrine, and AI, why not buy a Perdix AI? Is it the thinness of the Peregrine? Or the expectation of a lower cost for a Peregrine AI?...
I already own a Teric that I like very much. That's my Shearwater computer with a lot of tech features that I don't need. My other computer is a 10 year old Oceanic VT3 with 1513 dives and 1592 hours on it. I'm planning ahead for a computer to eventually replace the VT3 when/if it dies.

The Peregrine has the same LCD screen the Perdix has. It is a little smaller, 1/3 thinner, and 20% lighter. The cost of adding AI to the Perdix is $86, if that holds, it would make the Peregrine $536, more than 40% less expensive than a Perdix AI. I already own 3 PPS transmitters.

As my diving is 95% no stop and 5% light, back gas deco, a Peregrine AI would be perfect for me :)

I went from a Petrel1 (Petrel2 came out less than a month after I got my 1), to a PedrixAI (again, Teric came out very shortly afterwards - but it has no appeal to me). It was the compass and AI that pushed me to the second purchase - mostly the AI. I got my Petrel1 with Tri-Mix in mind as I was on a training path for it. Got my Pedrix by justifying that I needed a back-up doing the same thing (Petrel1 is a back-up to my PedrixAI).

I don't know if the non-AI model would have been a decision. I don't need it, but had AI been on this new model, I just might have been getting it for the daughter, and perhaps the wife (but, she is a console fan who currently runs my Cochran the SW replaced).

I have come to like "all the information in one place"...

Interesting to see how this goes...

Did a ton of research, got a Petrel 1. With what I did with that Petrel 1 the Peregrine would have done perfectly as well. I never got into Helium until I got a rebreather, at which point it came with Shearwaters set up for a rebreather. The Peregrine would have been perfect for me.

That situation would be the one scenario where a used petrel or perdix would be better than the peregrine though, someone that ends up doing trimix/ccr dives when first starting out as an advanced nitrox diver. the petrel/perdix has trimix/ccr so can do backup duty. for the peregrine, you would be stuck on gauge mode without trimix/ccr support.

That situation would be the one scenario where a used petrel or perdix would be better than the peregrine though, someone that ends up doing trimix/ccr dives when first starting out as an advanced nitrox diver. the petrel/perdix has trimix/ccr so can do backup duty. for the peregrine, you would be stuck on gauge mode without trimix/ccr support.

Stuff like this will be interesting to see how it plays out over the next 12-18 months.

The Perdix is no longer the least expensive Shearwater offering. This should lower resale values for people looking to unload Perdix Non-AI's, (and perhaps even the AI's to a lesser extent) as there is now a less expensive new option.

Add to that, the Peregrines that will eventually hit the used market as people upgrade for AI and trimix features.

Good computers in the hands of all divers at various price levels is a good thing.

I am a recreational diver. Over the winter, I bought a PERDIX AI knowing that I am definitely NOT the target market for it. It has so many features that I will never use, but based on Shearwater's reputation for both reliability and customer service, I took the plunge (so to speak) and bought one. (Unfortunately, I haven't used it even once yet - Stupid COVID!)

The Peregrine would have been a MUCH better choice for me as it is much better suited to the type of diving that I do. If there was an option for an AI version, it would be a "no brainer". As things stand, I will likely get one as a backup, but I am willing to wait until shortly before I do my next trip in the hopes that an AI version does become available.

For those who are noting (complaining) about things like not being able to do Helium or other tech requirements, I personally think that you are missing the point of this computer. The Petrel or the Perdix are better suited to your needs, but not everyone shares those needs. I think that the Peregrine hits their target demographic almost perfectly, and if an AI version is brought out, it will be a proverbial home run for rec divers.

As my diving is 95% no stop and 5% light, back gas deco, a Peregrine AI would be perfect for me :)

For sure, and even without AI for me. My wife is interested in the Peregrine. The perfect Shearwater for her.

Good computers in the hands of all divers at various price levels is a good thing.

Yep!

IMO this will make a perfect backup to my Perdix AI, so I'll be getting one at some time.
As a purely Rec diver, if I didn't have my Perdix AI as yet, I would have probably got this, having not been exposed to the convenience of having a compass and AI.
As long as it can be config to display SurfGF on the home screen, I would be happy.
Certainly a better option than the Mares Nemo Wide that I graduated from. I think this is great for Rec Divers.

Right on. Nuff said. You just threw a 60 mph fast ball right down my strike zone!

You “tech” divers don’t get it. This computer is perfect for a beginning diver who is just getting into diving and the computer has more capability to take a recreational diver further down the road to advanced diving and possibly more. Glenn

Yes, many tech divers suffer from myopia. Rec diving is not tech diving. Communicating with people who can switch gears between different planes of thought, within a multi-faceted community, is refreshing.

cheers,
m²V2

This might sound like an oddball question, but does anybody know if you use the pins, can you thread the straps from a PERDIX through and use them on the Peregrine (is the opening the same size)? Also, if I was going to use a "NATO Strap", what size would I need?

Thanks.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom