We have something to share

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Right, and I don't know a single rec diver that would spend the premium Shearwater is asking for this product without AI. They are over priced for the intro computer market, and under featured for the premium recreational computer market.

Up the cost by $100 and include AI, and it'll decimate.
I am such a rec diver. I guess there must be others that you don't know :wink:. Whether we form a big enough market niche to make the product a success I don't know. I think it looks like a solid competitor in the mid-range between the zoop novo and the eon core. Certainly I would have no problem paying the premium over a Cressi Giotto, Suunto Vyper, or Scubapro Galileo just to get a colour screen. So I guess colour screen is to me what optional AI is to you, enough to make the purchasing decision.

I agree the market segmentation is pretty transparent here, but people seem to have no problem e.g. paying for software unlocks which is the most transparent market segmentation possible, so I'm not going to get too worked up about it.

OR, it could just be, "psssh, can't even do helium, doesn't even have tec mode, we don't want these to begin with. We sell actual tech gear, not tech wannabe gear" :rofl3:

DGX has long since stopped being tech-only if they ever were at all. I first started using them when they were Dive Rite Express and still had Fill Express. Even then they weren't tech only. They are certainly tech/advanced diving heavy but much of their gear is used by recreational divers especially advanced divers.

Given that the Peregrine appears to be perfectly suited for entry level (pre-trimix) technical diving as well as advanced recreational diving I fully expect they will add it to their inventory.

You “tech” divers don’t get it. This computer is perfect for a beginning diver who is just getting into diving and the computer has more capability to take a recreational diver further down the road to advanced diving and possibly more. Think to back when you first started diving and didn’t know anything other than you wanted to get under the water. This is a niche market and shearwater is doing it well. For all the nay sayers out there, I really think your wrong. If this would have been available to me when I first started diving, I would have purchased one immediately. I did not start with AI and I bet a bunch of you didn’t either.

I believe Shearwater has not only done market research, but listened to people and have created a computer that is gonna be a game changer.

My 2 cents worth.

Glenn

DGX has long since stopped being tech-only if they ever were at all. I first started using them when they were Dive Rite Express and still had Fill Express. Even then they weren't tech only. They are certainly tech/advanced diving heavy but much of their gear is used by recreational divers especially advanced divers.

Given that the Peregrine appears to be perfectly suited for entry level (pre-trimix) technical diving as well as advanced recreational diving I fully expect they will add it to their inventory.

I guess it wasn't obvious that I was joking. :rofl3:

IMO this will make a perfect backup to my Perdix AI, so I'll be getting one at some time.
As a purely Rec diver, if I didn't have my Perdix AI as yet, I would have probably got this, having not been exposed to the convenience of having a compass and AI.
As long as it can be config to display SurfGF on the home screen, I would be happy.
Certainly a better option than the Mares Nemo Wide that I graduated from. I think this is great for Rec Divers.

IMO this will make a perfect backup to my Perdix AI, so I'll be getting one at some time.
As a purely Rec diver, if I didn't have my Perdix AI as yet, I would have probably got this, having not been exposed to the convenience of having a compass and AI.
As long as it can be config to display SurfGF on the home screen, I would be happy.
Certainly a better option than the Mares Nemo Wide that I graduated from. I think this is great for Rec Divers.

That's exactly why I'm getting one ... as a backup to my Perdix AI. Currently I have no backup and don't like the lack of redundancy. I've also confirmed via the manual that SurfGF can be added to the home screen along with a few other configurable display options.

I have something to share.

I am a Teric owner. I will purchase a Peregrine, when it supports AI

If you want a computer with the size screen of a Peregrine, and AI, why not buy a Perdix AI? Is it the thinness of the Peregrine? Or the expectation of a lower cost for a Peregrine AI?

The number of Rec divers outstrips the number of tec divers by so, so much. Nothing in its price range competes with it. I’m guessing the complete opposite, and within a few months the peregrine will be their top seller.

You don't think the Atmos Mission One, at $330 competes? It has the same algorithm, and a color screen.

Hot Deal! Atmos Mission One Watch Style Dive Computer / Smart Watch Black Ring / Black Strap , Piranha Dive Shop |

You “tech” divers don’t get it. This computer is perfect for a beginning diver who is just getting into diving and the computer has more capability to take a recreational diver further down the road to advanced diving and possibly more. Think to back when you first started diving and didn’t know anything other than you wanted to get under the water. This is a niche market and shearwater is doing it well. For all the nay sayers out there, I really think your wrong. If this would have been available to me when I first started diving, I would have purchased one immediately. I did not start with AI and I bet a bunch of you didn’t either.

I believe Shearwater has not only done market research, but listened to people and have created a computer that is gonna be a game changer.

My 2 cents worth.

Glenn

I bought my first computer right after I finished OW. An Oceanic Atom 3.0, with a transmitter. I still have it and it still works. And I would have no problem using it for non-technical dives even now. Capturing my dive data, including my gas consumption data, has always seemed desirable to me, even before I finished my OW cert.

It seems to me that, between tech divers and non-tech divers ('cause we're ALL recreational divers), the desire for AI is much stronger in the non-tech diver part of the community. If the market was strong enough to put AI into a serious tech-capable computer (like the Perdix AI), then it seems like a no-brainer that you would put it into any computer that is specifically targeted at non-tech divers.

I agree with a previous post that said the Peregrine is too expensive for the entry-level market and doesn't have the features (primarily meaning AI) for the premium market.

Obviously, they are going to sell a bunch anyway. Some will buy it just because of the name (and the prestige, service, and support that that name represents). Some will buy it because they don't insist on having AI. I just think they would sell a crap-ton more of them if it had AI.

Without AI, they are directly competing with the Deep6 Gear computer at $275 and the Atmos computer at $330. With AI, it would have been no competition.

Back up my clock about 5 years. Getting back into diving after several years of other things in life getting in the way. Start shopping for a computer that isn't the cheapest thing money can buy. 100' is still a deep dive. Getting ready to start my Nitrox class. Thinking of AN/DP as a further step. There is one place I want to go that is 135'. Did a ton of research, got a Petrel 1. With what I did with that Petrel 1 the Peregrine would have done perfectly as well. I never got into Helium until I got a rebreather, at which point it came with Shearwaters set up for a rebreather. The Peregrine would have been perfect for me.

There are plenty of not so serious divers going just a little further into the AN/DP area. Or just want to future proof themselves if they go that way. Helium is still a rarity in most shops. This is a mass market computer, not the typical Shearwater niche market computer. To anyone already with a Shearwater, you are NOT the ones this is marketed to. Of course you won't be interested. Why would you be interested is a less capable computer than you already have? So shut up and quit complaining. Go look at those who don't have a shearwater yet. The basic mass market. This is for them.

And the whole AI thing, The transmitter is $350 (each), nearly the price of the computer itself. Lets double the price to watch air pressure, good plan to skip. A lot of this market will be resort traffic in rented gear. No point in AI.

Back
Top Bottom