Mares version of Conshelf Supreme

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

rsingler

Scuba Instructor, Tinkerer in Brass
Staff member
ScubaBoard Sponsor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
Who can tell me which Mares this is, and what Mares uses to conduct ambient pressure from the seal to the main diaphragm? My son sent me the pics and says it feels liquid. Don't tell me Mares is using Aqualung's old silicone fluid?
IMG_5363.jpg
IMG_5362.jpg

Happen to have a schematic? It even looks like Aqualung's seal.
Just watched simplyscuba.com 's video. Wow, it's just an old Abyss with Aqualung's cap. Wonder how they licensed that? Guess patents long expired.

Voit was absorbed into Mares (purchased or merged, not sure) a while back.

Voit used to make the rubber parts for US Divers (now Aqua Lung) and in the early days a lot of the Voit regulators were just US Divers internals, including the high pressure (HP) seat, etc. Even after Voit started designing their own regulators, they continued to use the same HP seat design and a number of other details. Therefore it is no surprise that Mares would follow the same well proven valve design.

AFAIK, the HP seat for Mares is totally interchangeable with the Aqua Lung and Trident makes an after-market replacement. I think there are some Asian clones first stages that are also the same seat design and other components.

Mares tried that crazy Ruby/ curved plunger design with flat orifice (similar to Poseidon), but it didn't work so well.

The vast majority of regulators are just clones of previous designs. I always say that 95%+ of regulators fall into three types of first stages and two types of second stages.

Yeah, Hollis FDXi still has that Ruby HP seat design. Mine's creeping right now. Oceanic changed the parts, so we'll see if the upgrade performs better.

I just ended up converting all my Conshelf and Conshelf Supreme (and Titan) to dry environmental chamber.
It is so much easier to deal with the dry chamber and it stays so clean.

Yes, I use 109 (or balanced adjustable) and Poseidon Cyklon second stages. Must of those are stage regulators or alternate back-up regulators.

20200704_200441.jpg

20200704_200202.jpg

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom