My AN/DP/Helitrox course

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

@MichaelMc

I clearly remember the AN book saying course involves no decompression at all.
I think it is often said that we all must decompress as we ascend slowly by design. Even OW students are encouraged to do optional staged decompression on back gas, a safety stop. TDI AN lists no required staged deco.

I'd reasonably trust UnderTheJungle to not be violating standards, but to teach thoroughly. Their class description is: "The TDI Advanced Nitrox Course certifies divers to independently plan and execute no-decompression dives to a maximum depth of 40 meters/ 130 feet.", but they evaluate gas switches and O2 convulsion response.

I think the stand-alone AN sits in an odd place. I like UnderTheJungles approach better than the bare TDI list of skills. As TDI AN lets you have an O2 tank on your body, for a no required staged deco dive. If you practiced nothing about not switching to that at 100', that could be bad. The TDI theory section talks about Ox tox and multiple gas switches but does not list on the web site practicing any skills/procedures to ensure you do not switch to it at the wrong depth.

All this I mean in a context where you can ascend directly. DP seems to add when you can no longer just ascend if some issue arises, from the no required to required difference.

I'll have my AN book soon. This is just from the TDI site and UnderTheJungle's. I suspect doing multiple gas switches in AN context might be silly, I just highlight it to show TDI AN syllabus lists gas switches in the theory section, but not in the skills practice section.

To highlight where I think the difference lies:
AN - gas switch protocols and response
DP - adapting to loss of deco gas or other issues with a ceiling

Having had instruction from Natalie and Under the Jungle I can guarantee you will get training beyond the norm and be held to very high standards for the course. Natalie’s attention to detail is unsurpassed in my experience.

Having had instruction from Natalie and Under the Jungle I can guarantee you will get training beyond the norm and be held to very high standards for the course. Natalie’s attention to detail is unsurpassed in my experience.

A friend of mine from New York is training with Natalie. Hear lots of good stuff about her.

Taking AN by itself really doesn’t make much sense. All it gives you is O2. Makes much more sense to do all 3 courses together.

I have some videos on YouTube I like to workout to. Took some doing to find stuff that doesn’t aggravate the knees. I have dumbbells at home. Need heavier ones than 12lb but I can’t get them for the time being. Most workout gear is sold out due to gyms being closed and folks working out at home.

I miss the recumbent bike at the gym something awful. Got my hands on a friend’s extra bike and go ride in the local forest preserve, but the weather was awful this spring and now it’s too damned hot and humid most days to go. Or storms or too windy. I’m lucky if I can ride once a week!

Marie, if you use your weight belt (if you have one) you can add weights to your desired level and use that in place of a dumbell. Just a thought.

Had two very fruitful dives with @tmassey today. Took another 6lbs off. Was able to not use the DUI weight harness. The remaining 4lbs of lead are in my V-weight. Worked primarily on buoyancy and some bottle handling skills. It was fun! He’s good to dive with. :D

Solved my problem of the wet left arm. Closed my suit dump valve a few clicks and I was dry!

That Thermolution is the bees knees. :). Turned it on low a few times when I got cold. Then off after a short time.

I am beat after the last two days. Lot of time in the water and the videos show the results. I’m in a pretty good place.

Solved my problem of the wet left arm. Closed my suit dump valve a few clicks and I was dry!

That Thermolution is the bees knees. :). Turned it on low a few times when I got cold. Then off after a short time.
Yessssss I could never go back to cold water diving without a heated vest after having one

http://cavediveflorida.com/Rum_House.htm

Back
Top Bottom