My New Toy

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Southside

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Well I found an excellent deal on a Poseidon Se7en that I couldn't pass up. I picked it up and am currently working on logistics of getting it serviced and then taking a mod 1 class.

I am going to be going through Ron Benson of Silent Explorers for the service and the training. The plan is to have him service it and then I'll drive up there to do the classroom and pool session and then we'll go to Lake Wazee to complete the dives. After discussion with Ron he said the best place to start is with the IANTD mod 1 class that will certify me down to 100 ft with no decompression and air diluent.

The plan will be to remain at that level for a few seasons and then I'll eventually do my OC tech classes, AN/DP, and then I can begin thinking about doing more advanced rebreather training. That is all of course if I decide to continue my training beyond recreational levels.

As far as the unit it has a few upgrades such as the technical counter lungs with MAV, 3rd cell holder, quick release tank and BCD mounts.

The one thing I'm missing is the repackable scrubber cartridge. I'm working on where to source this from.

I'm wondering if it's too early for me to switch to a rebreather? From my reading it seems that most people progress as far as OC can take them and then make the switch.

Attachments

• Snapchat-137862087.jpg
    Snapchat-137862087.jpg
    69.6 KB · Views: 225
  • Snapchat-707189127.jpg
    Snapchat-707189127.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 202
Well I found an excellent deal on a Poseidon Se7en that I couldn't pass up. I picked it up and am currently working on logistics of getting it serviced and then taking a mod 1 class.

I am going to be going through Ron Benson of Silent Explorers for the service and the training. The plan is to have him service it and then I'll drive up there to do the classroom and pool session and then we'll go to Lake Wazee to complete the dives. After discussion with Ron he said the best place to start is with the IANTD mod 1 class that will certify me down to 100 ft with no decompression and air diluent.

The plan will be to remain at that level for a few seasons and then I'll eventually do my OC tech classes, AN/DP, and then I can begin thinking about doing more advanced rebreather training. That is all of course if I decide to continue my training beyond recreational levels.

As far as the unit it has a few upgrades such as the technical counter lungs with MAV, 3rd cell holder, quick release tank and BCD mounts.

The one thing I'm missing is the repackable scrubber cartridge. I'm working on where to source this from.

I'm wondering if it's too early for me to switch to a rebreather? From my reading it seems that most people progress as far as OC can take them and then make the switch.
What’d you pay for it? Nice. I thought Ron had finally retired from teaching but I guess not.

No reason to do OC AN/DP. When you've got the hours in and the skills down, may as well go straight to the next CCR course. That is just my opinion, of course, and I am not a CCR instructor. But, I know that some CCR instructors agree with me and some don't.

What’d you pay for it? Nice. I thought Ron had finally retired from teaching but I guess not.
Much less than it is worth :wink:

He told me had to cancel a few classes in Florida and one in Bonaire in May. It seems like he is still very much active thankfully! Reading about him he seems to really know his stuff and is a very accomplished diver.

Nice! I dove the Se7en and like it a lot. A really good choice.

Never too early to go CCR if you have the desire and the mental discipline to go with it. If you do go tech with it, its important to keep the OC skills from stagnating. I will, for example, do a bailout from NDL and otherwise benign dives fairly often (not when I have helium in the BO, unless it needs emptying for some reason).

The Se7en is very forgiving for your early days, but be careful not to let that encourage complacency.

Update, I have sent the unit to Ron at Silent Explorers to service and the 3L steels as well as the AL40 are at DRIS for hydros, VIPs, and an oxygen cleaning for the O2 cylinder.

Looking at taking Mod 1 sometime in May hopefully or June. Whenever the shelter in place orders are relaxed and dive sites can be utilized.

The plan is to drive up to him in Minneapolis and do some classroom work and pool dives. Then go to Gilboa, Wazee, or possibly Haigh for the open water dives.

Going a little stir crazy not being able to dive. Doing lots of reading, working my way through the TDI and IANTD material for the class. That's holding me over for now.

Update, I have sent the unit to Ron at Silent Explorers to service and the 3L steels as well as the AL40 are at DRIS for hydros, VIPs, and an oxygen cleaning for the O2 cylinder.

Looking at taking Mod 1 sometime in May hopefully or June. Whenever the shelter in place orders are relaxed and dive sites can be utilized.

The plan is to drive up to him in Milwaukee and do some classroom work and pool dives. Then go to Gilboa, Wazee, or possibly Haigh for the open water dives.

Going a little stir crazy not being able to dive. Doing lots of reading, working my way through the TDI and IANTD material for the class. That's holding me over for now.

Gilboa, Wazee, as well as White Star in OH (25 min east of Toledo) are all open. However, Gilboa is your best bet right now as all of its facilities (bathrooms, etc.) are open as it's a private quarry. Wazee and White Star are in county parks and all bathrooms are closed.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom