Removing the condom cath

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

At what temperature is one supposed to size?
Big difference between normal and way cold...

The idea behind a drysuit is to not be cold.

Not sure why everyone is making this out to be some kind of horrifying experience. I've found removing the catheter to be pretty painless with adhesive remover wipes. You just dab around the bottom with the wipes to let the solvent break down some of the glue, roll up the base of the condom (opposite of how you put it on) until you get to a point where the glue is still solidly attached, then repeat the process until you're free.

I will echo the advice of others to manscape, but that's more to avoid discomfort from hairs getting tugged on mid-dive rather than because it makes the removal process any easier if you're already using wipes.

OK, my findings...
Manscape is a must. Not once, a few times. I start a few days early if it has not been done in a long time. When you think you have everything, the next day do it again and clean what you missed. If you leave any, you will know. As itchy as the stubble is, the glue sticking to the stubble isn't much of a problem. If you leave hairs, you will know. After a few mistakes you will know what needs to be done.

My removal process hasn't been mentioned yet. Stretch, really stretch. Your (let's be generous) 52mm cath will stretch to about 500mm. That stretching also stretches out the adhesive making it much weaker. Stretch at a 90° angle to the shaft. The skin that is a little loose, gently roll that off the stretched cath. Work your way around. It turns into a no big deal.

As for the glue residue, generally not an issue but in a day or two it will collect a bunch of lint. Few little spots, not the whole thing. There are the wipes, never used them. Considering what I contact on a daily basis, WD40 is pretty mild. A little on a paper towel and the glue cleans right off, do it before a shower and you can wash the WD40 off.

Went from the first time I tried thinking "how am I going to explain this to the ER doc" to I can pretty much do it in a parking lot behind a car door and not look too disturbing. Although hitting a restroom and taking the privacy of a stall is better. The longer the better is generally true, but it will come off before I go to sleep.

First of all, using the Rochester Pop-ons instead of the Wide bands makes taking them off much easier. For me, it's an end-of-the-day hot shower and lots of soap, but make sure you soap up first, wash everything else, and then at the last minute, slowly peel it off from one side. Still somewhat painful, but that's the best way I've found. Usually the Pop-ons come off pretty easily.

I use the Rochester Widebands. No problems removing them : Stand in the shower, fold the outlet closed. Have a small urination, and work that around - it releases the cath from the skin very easily.

And what is the use of this big knife attached on your calf?! :)

Ouch. The thought makes me cringe.

Consider relieving yourself before a dive and using a male incontinence pad if you can't be sure of controlling your urge to urinate while still in the dry suit. Those incontinence pads can hold an amazing amount of liquid.

Another trick is to put the catheter on before setting off, in the privacy of your own home or hotel room. Two reasons:

1) if it's cold out, your 'little fella' won't want to play ball and will shrink up making it difficult to get a descent purchase. This is further compounded by either trying to balance in a swaying boat head, or finding a corner of a changing room surrounded by male voices. Neither of which I find conducive to putting something on my willy.

2) the additional time it's been in place will allow natural oils to generate assisting with the removal process (as previously mentioned up thread)

Oh, and just to reinforce the manscaping suggestion. It's amazing how long those sneaky pubes can get.

One extra trick: keep at least one XXXL catheter in your 'save a dive box'. That way when someone on the dive boat proclaims they've forgotten theres, with a flurish you can produce a spare, to much aplomb and envious / admiring glances.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom