Coronavirus at the beach? Uh-oh...maybe no diving for a while.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This "scientist" proposes that coronavirus somehow is concentrated in and survives the salt water at the beach and then is aerosolized in the surf, making the air near the beach a vector for transmission meaning that most who breathe within a certain distance from the surf for a certain length of time will contact coronavirus. Has this hypothesis been validated by experimentation or any other scientists wild ass assertions?
I'd like to see a study of how long that defenseless virus lasts in the microbiological soup of the ocean.

I don't recall a shut-down of the economy and curtailment of personal liberties back in '68-'70. Around one million people died from the H3N2 (Hong Kong flu) virus.

Hong Kong flu - Wikipedia
The rapid spread, ballooning fatalities, and massive crackdown reporting from China spooked people, including the inability to use visual cues for avoidance. The HK flu also was slow spreading, 'flattened', and ended up being not much out of the ordinary here it seems. As for liberties, the governing, media, talking, and voting sensibilities have changed a lot. The cat is out of the bag with regard to the opportunities that crises represent for the various parasitic 'ecosystems' that thrive on the taxing and ruling powers of our arrangement.

I'm preparing for a 2 year hiatus from diving. I don't think things will open up until a vaccine has been widely distributed. Then I will get my gear serviced. Batteries are pulled out of my torches and my computer. 2 years!
I went diving last week. Loved it.

Ditto.

Out this morning as well. Nice dive, good viz, no classes, matter of fact, only two other divers at a normally busy spot.

Back
Top Bottom