Coronavirus at the beach? Uh-oh...maybe no diving for a while.

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They gots helmets for that. :)

That article is a perfect example of how far the media has gone over the sensational edge. The "expert" says words like she "fears", she "believes", she "suspected", she "hopes to fill in more data gaps". A real scientific paper would be based on facts and would back up those facts. This article would be better used as fodder for the National Enquirer.

Public parks closed last night at 8 pm in the St Louis area. Too many people were hanging out in droves at the parks, so now they're closed to all - even the solo joggers. At least they haven't said we can't walk in our own neighborhoods. I wonder if that will be next - or if we will be required to wear masks to do so. Sad times.

That article is a perfect example of how far the media has gone over the sensational edge. ....

I recall hearing about a news executive some years ago saying something like

"Good news and bad news, for the first time ever the news division made a profit."

Good news because all businesses are in it to make a profit.

Bad news because once the news stops being treated like a public service of information and becomes a profit center we get the sensationalizing behaviors that we see today.

Then add in that the news was only 30 minutes twice a day with an occasional special announcement on two or 3 major networks ( 2 in Canada, 3 in the USA) and became multiple 24/7 streams of information, they had to fill that with something and they had to be more sensational than the other 20 news outlets so it just made matters worse.

I can't even watch the news now. Every story is about COVID-19. There are other issues to report.

According to the CDC, flu deaths are up more than 65% so far in 2020, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reporting that 4,800 people had died and 87,000 people had been hospitalized in the United States.

I don't recall a shut-down of the economy and curtailment of personal liberties back in '68-'70. Around one million people died from the H3N2 (Hong Kong flu) virus.

Hong Kong flu - Wikipedia

That article is a perfect example of how far the media has gone over the sensational edge. The "expert" says words like she "fears", she "believes", she "suspected", she "hopes to fill in more data gaps". A real scientific paper would be based on facts and would back up those facts. This article would be better used as fodder for the National Enquirer.
This is a bunch of fearmongering....every day is another assault on personal liberty and freedom. Where will it end....total lock down for everything? Stay in your house or be shot?

I don't recall a shut-down of the economy and curtailment of personal liberties back in '68-'70. Around one million people died from the H3N2 (Hong Kong flu) virus.

Hong Kong flu - Wikipedia
I am pretty sure UK Gov did not made a meal out of the name then!!!
HK was still recovering from the 67 riot instigated by communist sympathizers because of Culture Revolution in china.
I remember those time but not the spreading of the flu in the community. Culture Revolution was still going on in the mainland.

I can't even watch the news now. Every story is about COVID-19. There are other issues to report.

According to the CDC, flu deaths are up more than 65% so far in 2020, with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention reporting that 4,800 people had died and 87,000 people had been hospitalized in the United States.
The article is indeed stupid.

I have my doubts that flu deaths are up. More likely misdiagnosed coronavirus deaths.

I'm preparing for a 2 year hiatus from diving. I don't think things will open up until a vaccine has been widely distributed. Then I will get my gear serviced. Batteries are pulled out of my torches and my computer. 2 years!

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom