Supporting our local dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Are your local shops even open?

Mine is, even though they are closed tomorrow (not sure why). Other local shops have gone to an appt system.

Some are, some are by appointments, some are only via phone and meet in the parking lot.

Mine is... sort of? They have someone there answering the phone but the open sign has been off, but the door unlocked. Also I haven't noticed anyone there but the owners so far this week. I called before I went in and bought the SS1 to be sure they were open and that I could come get it (the owner was happy to see me, but we still kept a safe distance etc).
Things here are chaotic at the moment - no one knows what's going on with the social distancing thing, several counties have tried to make it a crime to be out in groups of 10 or more but the governor withdrew their new laws less than 5 hours after they were announced, everything is closing but we have almost no information about what is going on or how high the infection level is here (we've tested less than 2,000 people and most people who want tests are being turned away - even people with strong symptoms and/or high risk health issues).
So everyone is confused and it's a mess.

Dive shops around here have had to close now, but they've been posting on Facebook about how you can buy from them online. If you're in a position to pre-pay for some stuff you plan to buy in the future, it might be worth reaching out to see what you can do.

Mine is... sort of? They have someone there answering the phone but the open sign has been off, but the door unlocked. Also I haven't noticed anyone there but the owners so far this week. I called before I went in and bought the SS1 to be sure they were open and that I could come get it (the owner was happy to see me, but we still kept a safe distance etc).
Things here are chaotic at the moment - no one knows what's going on with the social distancing thing, several counties have tried to make it a crime to be out in groups of 10 or more but the governor withdrew their new laws less than 5 hours after they were announced, everything is closing but we have almost no information about what is going on or how high the infection level is here (we've tested less than 2,000 people and most people who want tests are being turned away - even people with strong symptoms and/or high risk health issues).
So everyone is confused and it's a mess.

just move to Canada. Problem solved. We have yet to have crazy things happened. More than usual anyway.

My shop is struggling right now. We're down to just retail sales. Governor's orders shut down basically everything here and our shop relies heavily on classes and swim lessons to keep things "afloat." We started the year strong, doing at least two open water classes and 3-5 specialty classes each of the first three months. We were booked heavily for the next several weekends, but that all got shut down as of Monday. The manager hasn't yet figured out how he wants to handle non-water training, like Science of Diving, React Right, and EANx; we can probably still do them, but limit the size of classes because we can't have more than 10 people in a room together, and even then, would people want to show up? My county has over half of the confirmed cases in Iowa. I consider myself to be in a very fortunate position in that my full time job is essential and critical to the nationwide response to this situation, but that also means I have to make sure I take extra precautions to make sure I don't get sick because I need to be in the lab.

Other than will the shop survive, I worry about my friends who work there full time. They only have limited paid time off and don't get paid a lot to begin with.

IL is apparently going to issue a shelter in place order later today, beginning tomorrow, for all non-essential industries.

IL is apparently going to issue a shelter in place order later today, beginning tomorrow, for all non-essential industries.
Like in many things, it looks like we might be following IL's lead. HR is apparently preparing official statements for those of us who have to be here to give to our daycare facilities to help them stay open if DHS comes calling. In addition to my company, we have one of the largest hospital systems in the midwest here, and that means a lot of people who need to keep working.

Like in many things, it looks like we might be following IL's lead. HR is apparently preparing official statements for those of us who have to be here to give to our daycare facilities to help them stay open if DHS comes calling. In addition to my company, we have one of the largest hospital systems in the midwest here, and that means a lot of people who need to keep working.

I’m in transportation. We’re going to keep working in the office, apparently. Small office anyway, less than 10 in the office. More in the warehouse, but they don’t come into the office.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom