Supporting our local dive shops

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I am trying to support local restaurants and ordering take out if they are open.

We are attempting to do 1-2 dinners a week (carry out only by executive order) with the places (local small businesses) that are staying open, and tipping generously.

edit: I don't know what happens with them as of the 8:00 pm 100% reduction policy...

Something to think about in terms of helping a LDS. We had one suddenly close. Any air fill cards were worthless. If you had equipment at the shop and could prove it was yours you got it back. If you had paid for stuff and not got it yet you lost the money. You were able to get some cert cards because it was PADI and the instructors could work as independents at their own expense.

Not saying don't do something to help but it should be disposable money.
This is something I've been contemplating. I was booked on an overnight to the Channel Islands this weekend through a local dive shop (not my regular one). And it's on the Peace, which is shutting down operations as of June 1, unless someone takes it over, which is looking increasingly unlikely. I booked this months ago, before anyone had heard of COVID-19, before the guy running the boat announced his retirement. I have a feeling the money has already been spent, and asking for a refund would put someone in a difficult position. Rescheduling may not work out for obvious reasons. I could afford the loss, though I chafe at the thought of eating that cost just to marginally boost the creditors' bottom line instead of keeping someone in business. I have to make a decision today.

This is something I've been contemplating. I was booked on an overnight to the Channel Islands this weekend through a local dive shop (not my regular one). And it's on the Peace, which is shutting down operations as of June 1, unless someone takes it over, which is looking increasingly unlikely. I booked this months ago, before anyone had heard of COVID-19, before the guy running the boat announced his retirement. I have a feeling the money has already been spent, and asking for a refund would put someone in a difficult position. Rescheduling may not work out for obvious reasons. I could afford the loss, though I chafe at the thought of eating that cost just to marginally boost the creditors' bottom line instead of keeping someone in business. I have to make a decision today.
People shouldn't be spending money before providing a service. That is just asking for trouble.

Back
Top Bottom