Latest Morning Dive Trip - Maximize Number of Dives in Cozumel

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

To do a morning and afternoon 2 tank, you need to be on the boat by 730AM or the latest 8.

With surface intervals and travel you are looking at 4 + 4 hours min.

I've done a lot of 4 tank days with Deep Blue. As you noted, they leave at 9am. They, like other shops, will drop you at a beach location after the morning 2 tank trip, usually Paradise Beach or the Money Bar, and then pick you up there after lunch for the afternoon 2 tank trip.

Will be in Puerto Aventuras for 2 weeks, out of which I can do any 2 days in Cozumel, thinking maybe the 2 Sundays as the car ferry leaves Calica earlier at 7am. Planning to do at least 12 dives total (PA/PDC and Cozumel) and trying to maximize the number of dives the 2 days in Cozumel.

Pretty new yes, but I have all the gear. Will recheck weights in PA at the resort first before hoping on to Cozumel. The plan is to have everything sorted out before the island days...

I'd be inclined to skip the car ferry and just go over on the regular ferry. You can get on Cozumel early enough to do 4 tanks that way. Your wife could hang out around the square, taxi to your lunch drop so you could eat lunch together and she could have a beach afternoon and then taxi back for you guys to take the ferry back to Playa. If a car is a must, it probably wouldn't cost too much more than the car ferry to just rent a car in Coz for the day. She could have one day with a car, and one without. If you must take your car over, then it'd make good sense to just stay overnight on Coz. You could get a room at the Pepita for probably $40.

There are a few dive ops that are based on the mainland and have their own boats to go out to Cozumel; that might be a better option for you. The only one I know of off the top of my head is Tank-Ha in Playa del Carmen; I dived with them as a brand-new diver and recommend them. But I believe there are other shops that can take you to Coz, maybe some closer to where you're staying.

There are a few dive ops that are based on the mainland and have their own boats to go out to Cozumel...
That's not necessarily true; there was a bit of a flap about it a couple of years ago about boats from the Yucatan coming across to dive Cozumel. Boats need permits to dive the Cozumel reefs and those based across the channel may not have them. Also, when the wind in the area is from the east (as it frequently is) the waters over the Cozumel reefs are glassy smooth but over on the Playa side they can be pretty rough; it would make for an uncomfortable crossing in a small boat. I wouldn't base my plans on it.

Unless things have changed Dressel's afternoon dives are timed due to their PM schedule & the fact the DM's did morning dives too. They were basically a 30 minute dive plus safety stop. Not a great value. Also note that many dive shops don't run a 2 tank afternoon schedule. Even those that do generally need a certain number of divers to keep it profitable so that can kill the plan too.

Dressel might be the best option in this case... possible than 3 dives per day in Cozumel, so about 6 dives then in Cozumel and 6 in PA. This if there was no better alternative.
But to dive with Dressel wouldn't he have to get himself down to and through the Iberostar after making the crossing?

Are you understanding that a 4 tank dive day will put you on the late ferry to Calica and have you driving back to PA in the dark? I avoid driving at night, even if it's just on 307.

I'd really suggest getting a $30-40/night Airbnb for a couple of nights instead of going back to PA at night. It's not that much more, since you're gonna be paying $25 for the return trip. Take the 7am car ferry on Sunday, dive all day Sunday, spend the night, dive all day Monday, spend the night, then head back to to PA early Tuesday morning.

You might try Jungle Divers, as they have a 2-tank morning dive at 9:30: Dive Cozumel | Dive & Stay Packages | Cozumel Diving | Jungle Divers

It's a slower boat, and I believe the price includes lunch, but it would be hard to get another 2 tank dive in the afternoon. However, they do also lead shore dives across from their shop (near Tikila), so you might do 1 nice afternoon dive there -- or perhaps even an afternoon and a twilight. We did a night shore dive with them there, and it was great -- stayed down 98 minutes and saw a lot.

Back
Top Bottom