I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

The only mention of the age 70 I can locate deals with their Term Life Insurance policy. Being on my way to 71 this is a concern if it affects their Accident Insurance, also.

The Preferred Handbook that downloads if you use Texas as you domicile state says nothing about Termination of Insurance, and if you search that document for the term "70", "Termination", or "End" you get zero hits.

DAN Preferred Handbook (Texas)

Must be a State to State restriction, and I luck out by living in Texas.

I just got an email from DAN. The GUARDIAN plan in Texas does not cover anyone over 69. The PREFERRED plan still works fine for Texas residents (almost put Texans, but not everyone residing in Texas has their Texas Citizenship Papers). The MASTER plan is also still in tact. DAN's email said they have come up with a new GUARDIAN plan and they are waiting on it to be approved for Texas.

Cheers - M²

This is from an email I received today from DAN:

"Recently you may have heard that some DAN insurance plans are currently unavailable to divers age 70 and over. Unfortunately, this is true. Last year we were notified by the underwriter of our Guardian Plan that the plan would no longer be available to people over age 69. We found this to be unacceptable. Therefore we created new dive accident insurance plans that will be available to all divers, regardless of age.

Here is where things stand today:

• In January DAN launched new dive accident insurance plans that provide better coverage with fewer restrictions; among these plans is a new Guardian Plan that is available to people age 70 and over. Today these plans are available in 39 states. For members in the remaining states, except for Washington and Vermont, we offer other dive accident insurance plans that do not have age limitations.
  • The Guardian Plan is the only dive accident plan currently available in Washington and Vermont, and thus DAN dive accident insurance is currently not available to divers age 70 and over in those two states.
  • Once DAN’s new dive accident program is approved by the insurance regulators in your state, all divers (including those 70 and over) will be able to choose from three plans: Guardian, Preferred and Master.
  • In the interim, residents of all states, including Washington and Vermont, can still be DAN members and can still purchase DAN trip and travel insurance, regardless of their age.

We apologize for the inconvenience, and we will provide updates as more information becomes available.

To learn about the dive accident insurance coverage available in your state, go to DAN.org/Insurance or call DAN Member Services at +1 (919) 684-2948, Option 3.

Thank you for your support. We appreciate your patience as we work to make dive accident insurance available to all divers.

The DAN Team
"

This is from an email I received today from DAN:

"Recently you may have heard that some DAN insurance plans are currently unavailable to divers age 70 and over. Unfortunately, this is true. Last year we were notified by the underwriter of our Guardian Plan that the plan would no longer be available to people over age 69. We found this to be unacceptable. Therefore we created new dive accident insurance plans that will be available to all divers, regardless of age.

Here is where things stand today:

• In January DAN launched new dive accident insurance plans that provide better coverage with fewer restrictions; among these plans is a new Guardian Plan that is available to people age 70 and over. Today these plans are available in 39 states. For members in the remaining states, except for Washington and Vermont, we offer other dive accident insurance plans that do not have age limitations.
  • The Guardian Plan is the only dive accident plan currently available in Washington and Vermont, and thus DAN dive accident insurance is currently not available to divers age 70 and over in those two states.
  • Once DAN’s new dive accident program is approved by the insurance regulators in your state, all divers (including those 70 and over) will be able to choose from three plans: Guardian, Preferred and Master.
  • In the interim, residents of all states, including Washington and Vermont, can still be DAN members and can still purchase DAN trip and travel insurance, regardless of their age.
We apologize for the inconvenience, and we will provide updates as more information becomes available.

To learn about the dive accident insurance coverage available in your state, go to DAN.org/Insurance or call DAN Member Services at +1 (919) 684-2948, Option 3.

Thank you for your support. We appreciate your patience as we work to make dive accident insurance available to all divers.

The DAN Team
"
This is all well and good, but in my state (Virginia) and my age (78) the Annual Travel is $1657 per year, and the Guardian Accident is $118 per year, so almost $1900/year for coverage. Worse, the two policies have some overlapped coverage (so you are paying twice) but DAN says there is nothing they can do about that. No discounts for purchasing both.

DAN apparently sent the email to everyone. I’m still a good decade away from having your problem. But I hope t keep diving long enough to have the problem. :)

In WA here. Got the same email. Obviously a mass mailing. I thought maybe it was more specific as I'm in a dropped state, and I personally just had DAN expire.

I got the same email.

Interestingly, I submitted this question to DAN over the weekend, and haven't received either a response or the referenced email.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom