I'm 71 and DAN won't insure me -- now what?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Peter Guy

Contributor
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
I got a notice last week that DAN won't continue my dive insurance because I'm now 71. Dive Assure won't insure me for incidents in the US.

Anyone know of another company that will insure a diver for dive incidents? My insurance now expires July 31.

I got a notice last week that DAN won't continue my dive insurance because I'm now 71. Dive Assure won't insure me for incidents in the US.

Anyone know of another company that will insure a diver for dive incidents? My insurance now expires July 31.

We are insured by DAN but I just took a look at the DiveAssure Gold and Platinum Diving Accident Plans and they state that you can be covered from age 8 (minimum) until the age of 75, see below:

https://www.diveassure.com/wp-conte...g-Accident-Policy-Gold-and-Platinum-INTL1.pdf

General Conditions...Minimum age 8 Maximum age coverage under this policy will cease upon the attainment of the 75th birthday.

They define the coverage as "worldwide" and I don't see any exclusions about accidents inside the US, but they may expect your Medicare and supplemental coverage to go into effect first, I don't know?

A black eye for DAN, IMO. They should at least let you get it at a higher price if actuarial numbers show they have been shelling out too much in the way of benefits to people over 70.

My understanding is that they will no longer give the Guardian (highest) level insurance to anyone over 70. But they will give the Preferred and Master coverage levels, which are better than nothing.

Call them.

:eek::eek:

I've got a bit of time yet regardless this is distressing news. Sure hope you find coverage

Also try to get repatriation to go along with your travel medical

Just asking can you dive without it, I never had insurance.

Just asking can you dive without it, I never had insurance.

Of course. No one needs insurance . . .until they do and then they really do.

Is Medicare of any use for dive accidents?

Is Medicare of any use for dive accidents?

Medicare doesn't apply outside the US, so if you have a dive accident or get ill in a foreign country then you are on your own. If you need hyperbaric chamber treatment and/or assistance returning to the US - it could be very expensive.

We hope to retire within a year and so I went to a seminar on Medicare and Medicare Supplemental and Gap policies just last night, and it is incredibly complicated and it's not cheap. They weren't trying to sell us anything at this (park district) seminar, but it was clear that if you don't have comprehensive health coverage you could spend most of your life savings on health care and not leave much to enjoy your retirement, or to provide for your spouse.

There are many different Medicare supplemental plans to address gaps in Medicare coverage. Gaps, ceilings, exclusions, out-of-pocket expenses, premiums, maximums, and co-pays that vary for inpatient, outpatient, medications, long-term, and hearing/vision/dental care. These supplemental plans are administered by private insurance companies and the coverage and rules may vary significantly by policy and by state and/or county here inside the US.

For example, if you plan to travel or even live in different US states (e.g., spend your summers in the midwest and winters in the south) then you have to make sure to select supplemental/gap plans that will cover you in various US locations.

So if you get ill outside the US, I don't think that you can expect much assistance. I'm sure that there are some supplemental plans that include foreign travel, but they might have higher premiums and they may not specifically cover diving-related illnesses and injuries.

Back
Top Bottom