Grand Cayman Advice

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

What im really interested in on this trip for my diving is the convenience to getting there. Something close so that im back at a reasonable time since my wife will be on her own those mornings.
As you research dive ops, you should ask which dock they depart from. Several dive ops use the Lobster Pot dock which would be convenient from the Marriott. About a 5 minute drive from Marriott, maybe less. West Bay dock and Yacht Club are the other direction but probably a 10-12 minute drive. There are probably more but the ops from Lobster Pot dock but ones I can think of are Lobster Pot, Off the Wall, Wall to Wall and Deep Blue.

I only have experience with Off the Wall and I've used them many times. They have a shuttle van if you don't have a rental car. Their morning dives they ask you to be there at 7:15am and will depart as soon as all the divers are settled. I had a rental car so didn't have to wait for a shuttle ride but we're usually done and back in our condo by 11:30am.

Thanks for all the response. Wife is a bit worried about the beach at the Marriott but i think we are gonna still stay there. We have another couple meeting us there for part of the week....Are there any other beach nearby that she can walk to if needed?

We are definitely going to do the morning Red Sail tour to Stingray City. She also wants to the Turtle Farm, any comments on that?

I am considering diving with Living the Dream, i like that they are a small op and they also received some great reviews. However, a lot of the shops have great reviews...lol...Im sure they are all good in there own way....

You can walk a minute or two up the beach and be fine. The lounge chairs in front of the various condos and hotels are private, but the beach is not. You'll have a great time with LTD. ( I'm going out with them Wednesday. )
Enjoy the trip.

She also wants to the Turtle Farm, any comments on that?

The Turtle Farm actually became one of my favorite places that I have snorkeled. Crazy isn't it? There are 2 price points to get in - cheaper fee gets you to see turtles and a few other things; the higher fee gives you access to the whole park - more to explore, pool w/waterslide, and a snorkeling lagoon. The lagoon has tropical fish swimming around, especially close to the restaurant, as well as turtles - the lagoon is basically a loop and makes for pretty easy snorkeling. If you're looking for something different to do and pass the time, this is a pretty good option as well as one of the few close to where you're staying.

T She also wants to the Turtle Farm, any comments on that?

Well, it is a farm for raising turtle meat. They rebranded it the "Turtle Center" to try to be more politically correct, but the new name really hasn't caught on much. If you go north of the farm a short way on the left you can buy turtle meat.

I visited once. I'm not a big fan of eating turtles, and not a big fan of seeing them in holding tanks. I'd rather dive with them.

This Turtle Tourist Center Also Raises Endangered Turtles for Meat

Interesting! They need to try and do something to restore the beach but without harming the environment further.

The article doesn't mention the nearby Comfort Suites which has access to just a small section of 7MB. Now that DART owns the property I wonder if they also have any plans for beach restoration?

We've stayed there a couple of times in the past when we just wanted to overnight someplace before heading on to one of the Sister Islands or getting on the Aggressor - and it was fine for that type of venue.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom