OMS Going under?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckharlan66

ScubaBoard Supporter
ScubaBoard Supporter
Reaction score
I was at my LDS last night and they said they had heard OMS was in a Lawsuit and would probably be out of business soon. Does this mean the Bungeed Wing of Death is going to die or is this just a rumor. Bear in mind that my LDS sells Halcyon.

Just wondering if any of you have heard anything or might know what the lawsuit is about.

Chad

I haven't heard of anything like that. I hope that OMS stays around. Short of the Wing of Death, they make good stuff IMO.

Did you ask the LDS where they heard that OMS was being sued? Whoever told them would probably know.

I can only hope they're about to disappear. I think OMS is a horrible company - my loathing for OMS is well known.

I was asked why - I'll repeat it:

For a couple reasons.

A) They're the living embodiment of (dare I say it) "Strokery." For example, I have a tough time supporting any company that feels it's necessary to make a 100 lb wing, and then dare to insinuate that it's ok to use with a single tank.

B) I feel that they basically take other peoples stuff, put their logo on it and then once they've got your money, tell you to screw off. Their customer support after the fact is notoriously horrible.

C) I feel their marketing practices are deceiving and downright cheese-assed. The living proof of this is the so-called "Safety Bulletin" where they slam Halcyon's gear all over the place without coming right out and just saying "look, we just feel our gear is superior, and here's why." http://www.omsdive.com/news2.html

D) They're inconsistent, and what they do release takes forever to manifest. One style of manifold is bad, until they decide to sell that manifold. Painted tanks are better, until they decide to hot-dip galvanize... then they don't. Their new single tank wing was on their website for the better part of a year until it was released to the public.

Is it all subjective? Oh heck, yeah. I don't expect others to agree, that's fine. But in a nutshell, that's why I think OMS is a bad company.

Boogie711:
I can only hope they're about to disappear. I think OMS is a horrible company - my loathing for OMS is well known.

I was asked why - I'll repeat it:

For a couple reasons.

A) They're the living embodiment of (dare I say it) "Strokery." For example, I have a tough time supporting any company that feels it's necessary to make a 100 lb wing, and then dare to insinuate that it's ok to use with a single tank.

B) I feel that they basically take other peoples stuff, put their logo on it and then once they've got your money, tell you to screw off. Their customer support after the fact is notoriously horrible.

C) I feel their marketing practices are deceiving and downright cheese-assed. The living proof of this is the so-called "Safety Bulletin" where they slam Halcyon's gear all over the place without coming right out and just saying "look, we just feel our gear is superior, and here's why." http://www.omsdive.com/news2.html

D) They're inconsistent, and what they do release takes forever to manifest. One style of manifold is bad, until they decide to sell that manifold. Painted tanks are better, until they decide to hot-dip galvanize... then they don't. Their new single tank wing was on their website for the better part of a year until it was released to the public.

Is it all subjective? Oh heck, yeah. I don't expect others to agree, that's fine. But in a nutshell, that's why I think OMS is a bad company.
I may be wrong but didn't you once call Mares the embodiment of "Strokery" ? :wink:
Wasn't it because of the HUB and the pneumatical inflator? :D

aquaoren:
I may be wrong but didn't you once call Mares the embodiment of "Strokery" ? :wink:
Wasn't it because of the HUB and the pneumatical inflator? :D

Naw - I try to avoid that word. I think the HUB is dangerous and a stupid invention, but Mares makes some great wetsuits and some decent regulators. OMS makes.... um.....

"I can only hope they're about to disappear." boogie711

your dislike for OMS is known. what is not known is why you would like to see honest hard working Americans lose their jobs. jobs they depend on for a paycheck and health benefits. i hope my fellow NY'ers notice this post.

Hey, anyone know where i can buy some spring straps?

Boogie711:
Naw - I try to avoid that word. I think the HUB is dangerous and a stupid invention, but Mares makes some great wetsuits and some decent regulators. OMS makes.... um.....

Quick..............Somebody take his temperature..............He's coming down with something :D

On another note Boggie, have you met Trixe yet :06:

weekender:
Hey, anyone know where i can buy some spring straps?

Yeh, from Boogie, he makes the best in the world :wave-smil

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom