An ugly word

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

In 1911 during the beginning of the Mexican revolution a component of my family had been living in northern Mexico for several generations.
A bandit revolutionary leader named Villa identified them as "Gringos"
He gave them 24 hours to vacate their homes and leave Mexico
They did-- ended up in El Paso Texas
no food stamps
no health care
no housing
no schooling assistance
no government assistance--Period !
But
We survived and prospered in the US.

Am I a gringo as Villa described us? Or a pocho as I have been described in Mexico
or just plain American as we consider ourselves ?

An uniformed Californian would like to know from a self proclaimed expert
who is soooo busy he does not have time compete his profile information

SDM. III

As for etymology, I recall hearing a theory it came from “griego,” as in the saying, “it’s Greek to me.”

I agree that the word gringo is derogatory at its core, but I also think that Mexicans have excellent reasons for disliking norteamericanos.

I noticed you omitted "weta", the derogatory term for blonde. I'm aware of the term but not the history, should you care to expound further.

It was a last straw kinda thing. I have taken people to task over the word in my daily life, but I just got tired of seeing it used on this forum.

Weta is not a real word. It is a rendering of the word guera (I don't know how to put the diaeresis over the u in this forum) as misheard by someone unfamiliar with the Spanish word.

Am I a gringo as Villa described us? Or a pocho as I have been described in Mexico or just plain American as we consider ourselves? An uniformed Californian would like to know from a self proclaimed expert who is soooo busy he does not have time compete his profile information SDM. III

In my opinion (as a self-declared expert with no profile information), I would say if your were born in the US and live in the US that would make you and American.

I think Mexicans should continue to use the word gringo to refer to us. The world is far too sensitive about the issue and needs a little (or a lot) of desensitization right now.

I think Mexicans should continue to use the word gringo to refer to us. The world is far too sensitive about the issue and needs a little (or a lot) of desensitization right now.

Does that work both ways? Can "we" also use derogatory terms to describe others in order to desensitize the world or do we have to accept the double standard I mentioned earlier?

Weta is not a real word. It is a rendering of the word guera (I don't know how to put the diaeresis over the u in this forum) as misheard by someone unfamiliar with the Spanish word.

Best way to get a diaeresis (umlaut) on this forum is to compose using Word and then cut and paste into your post.

In Word, control+shift+colon, release, u will give you:

güera

I learn something new every day.

But in any part of Mexico I am a Pocho
Porque ?( esta hombre No comprendo ) SDM

Because, as I wrote in my original post on the subject, Mexicans are accustomed to applying derogatory nicknames and epithets to people as a matter of course. You apparently fit into their definition of a person of Mexican heritage who has lost the ability to speak the Spanish language properly and has assimilated into the US culture.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom