does an 18650 light with magnetic charger and multiple levels exist?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ekremer

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
100 - 199
I was wondering if anyone knows of a dive light that runs an 18650 battery, has a magnetic charging system and has a high of like 1000-2000 and a low of around 500-600 lumens?

something similar to this Warrior X? but in dive light form.

a single 18650 can't drive 2000 lumen. That one claims it can do it for 1.5mins which is about right, but at that point in time the battery won't be able to drive it any longer, and the emitter is going to overheat on land.
What benefit does the clip charger have for you? The charger on that charges at 1a, so it's going to take about 4 hours to charge the battery with their clip thing. Fine for land use, but if using it for diving you'll only get the single dive out of that light.

1000 lumens would be more than enough. I just wanted to give a range. and a magnetic charger would allow charging without breaking a seal in a damp environment.

@ekremer since the charging is so slow, why does it matter? It's one thing if it's a 30-60 minute charge time where you can charge it during a SIT, but with a 4 hour charge time, you're not going to be leaving it damp while it's charging. I've never had an issue swapping batteries out even with wet hands then you charge everything when you get home.
Of note, the magnetic charging is going to lead to galvanic corrosion while underwater unless expensive electronics are put in there, and even then the contacts would have to be gold so they don't corrode naturally. UWLD has their SECS charging system, and Light and Motion has it in theirs as well, but the cost to implement that into cheap backup lights would be impractical.

This is as close as I think you'll get.
GoBe 800 Spot FC - Light & Motion

So I found a dive light with a magnetic charger, so there goes your theory that they can't work.
Mk1 Torch

if shipping wasn't such a disaster from that UK store I would look to try one. But if someone has one does the info posted above ring true? has anyone seen galvanic corrosion? apparently it is one of that stores most popular sold lights.

That's functionally not much different than the Light & Motion light that @TBone linked to. L&M lights have a small gold-plated plug. They've been around a good while so have had a lot of field testing. They are somewhat expensive, but sell well anyway.

I'd be suspicious of both the claim that there's a 3100mAh battery in there and the ability to charge it in 1 hour from empty. To do so would require greater than a 3A charge rate, not something you are likely to get at that price point.

So I found a dive light with a magnetic charger, so there goes your theory that they can't work.
Mk1 Torch

if shipping wasn't such a disaster from that UK store I would look to try one. But if someone has one does the info posted above ring true? has anyone seen galvanic corrosion? apparently it is one of that stores most popular sold lights.
I had one of these and gave it to one of the kids as a first dive light. Nice and compact, neat charging. but the button sequence is programable for light levels and I often ended up in program mode rather than on or off. Personally, iIt was too fidly for me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom