"giant stride entry" Why can't you jump?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I use the @JohnnyC Method - but only after someone's shoved me off the one "cattle boat" I regularly use that isn' back roll. What a perculiar way to get off a vessel. I've found ways on and off most vessels that are easier/more fun/you're kidding than giant stride. The only time I ever do giant stride is during my * CMAS courses. I forget every time and generally my buddy/instructor gets sick of me laughing at how funny people look when they hit the water and gives me a lil nudge.

I once lectured ergonomics embedded within economics and thought about the ways we enter the water. Giant stride wouldn't have been my choice.

I use the @JohnnyC Method - but only after someone's shoved me off the one "cattle boat" I regularly use that isn' back roll. What a perculiar way to get off a vessel. I've found ways on and off most vessels that are easier/more fun/you're kidding than giant stride. The only time I ever do giant stride is during my * CMAS courses. I forget every time and generally my buddy/instructor gets sick of me laughing at how funny people look when they hit the water and gives me a lil nudge.

I once lectured ergonomics embedded within economics and thought about the ways we enter the water. Giant stride wouldn't have been my choice.
GS is more like a show for the Caribbean or Maldivian DMs who want everyone to give an OK sign, then get together on the surface and go down "together as a team" (boy, do I hate this word). In more libertarian circles, like NC or PCB, everyone is on his own, and the hit-it-with-your-shoulder negative entrance is regarded as the coolest thing to do while GS is reserved for the sissies.

I am forced to assume that all the folks denigrating a Giant Stride entry just don't know how to do it, or use it in inappropriate situations. There are many ways to make a deep water entry, GS is just one. Use the one that is appropriate!

I do Tursiops, I do...may be unconventional at times but diving off a 1606 replica tall ship presents new and interesting problems to be solved. Did you know an Al80 just fits through a cannon port for a waiting diver standing on the gunnels. I would not recommend the swan dive with a sumersault bum first entry from the bowsprit though.

You are right, there is no "best" entry - situations are changeable.

@tarponchik is also correct - what other than bobbing around on the surface and pointing to your head before descending could a hungover DM candidate want. Where I live I try not to stay on the surface...I feel a bit "baitish"

Because not every entry is a negative one. Because if you had a bcd failure on entry you have a means to not plummet to the bottom. Because sometimes on a rocky shore entry you’re going into shallow water and don’t want to hit the rocks on the bottom. Because you want to splash first and stay at the surface while the students or divers you’re guiding do their entries. Because in some high current areas you need to grab the tail line at the surface to pull yourself to the down line.

I've also done more than a few GS in Maldives on negative entry dives, so go figure.

Most fun though was when I'd hurt my back. I sat on the transom and they geared me up then had me put one arm over to the opposite shoulder (or something like that) and then, somehow they flung me into the water. Great fun. I'd do that way every time, given the opportunity and assurance that the helpers knew the procedure well.

The most important thing that I've learned about GS is that as I make the leap yelling "wait for meeeee!" to put my reg in my mouth before noticing something is not quite right at 15' down.

Because not every entry is a negative one.
None of my are negative... but they are all neutral. Easy enough to grab a down line, granny line, and all I have to do is to exhale. My students do the same.

It's a known fact that most Scuba accidents happen on the surface. I get me and my students off the surface ASAP.

None of my are negative... but they are all neutral. Easy enough to grab a down line, granny line, and all I have to do is to exhale. My students do the same.

It's a known fact that most Scuba accidents happen on the surface. I get me and my students off the surface ASAP.

And is the surface causative in those accidents?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom