Anyone here subscribe to undercurrent.org? Do you recommend??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I recently subscribed and I've found it useful when researching new dive destinations. It has been worth the money so far.

FWIW I subscribed about a week ago & so far am glad I did. The trip reports are very detailed, very helpful when trying to decide between resorts or LOB in various locales. The only thing that I'm a little surprised & disappointed in is that prices aren't always noted. It's great to see the 1-5 star ratings for food, comfort, dive guides, quality of diving, etc., but imho pricing is also very relevant factor which should be noted.

Current list prices for pretty much anything can be looked up. And what any individual paid may have little to do with that.

I understand that list prices can be looked up, but when people are going to so much effort to write such detailed trip reports, I would think they could / should note how much they paid for the trip. Again, I think it's very relevant information, equally as relevant as quality of food, the beds, the bathrooms, etc.. And while I understand I can look this info. up, why should I have to? That's likely many clicks for me and all others who are interested, yet would take the writer of the trip report literally seconds to mention how much they paid.

And yes, as you said "what any individual (actually) paid may have little to do with that" (the list price), and this is (imho) another reason why they should write how much they paid. If a list price for a specific LOP trip is (for example) $3,000, but people are regularly getting 25-40% off, isn't this relevant info. you'd like to know?

I have subscribed on/off over the years. I find the newsletter’s reports on the business of diving to be particularly revealing - for instance, articles describing how PADI had been bought out by a Chinese holding company, or how the many different makers of scuba gear were consolidating into just a few companies. And I relied on a trip report for the Nautilius Belle Amie to plan a trip to Guadalupe, and found that quite helpful.

I will say though that the price of the newsletter is quite steep, considering that a lot of its content comes from its readers’ submissions, and that its distribution costs are essentially zero. So what I tend to do is to subscribe at the promotional 6 month rate, let that lapse, and then renew a year later. That effectively cuts down on the cost by more than two thirds, and is closer to my idea of a fair price point.

I understand that list prices can be looked up, but when people are going to so much effort to write such detailed trip reports, I would think they could / should note how much they paid for the trip. Again, I think it's very relevant information, equally as relevant as quality of food, the beds, the bathrooms, etc.. And while I understand I can look this info. up, why should I have to? That's likely many clicks for me and all others who are interested, yet would take the writer of the trip report literally seconds to mention how much they paid.

And yes, as you said "what any individual (actually) paid may have little to do with that" (the list price), and this is (imho) another reason why they should write how much they paid. If a list price for a specific LOP trip is (for example) $3,000, but people are regularly getting 25-40% off, isn't this relevant info. you'd like to know?
I think you may see mention of prices and deals in individual reviews sometimes, but that is up to the reviewer. They do have a slot for perceived “value”, which is of course subjective but sort of interesting, and something that can’t be looked up in the same way.

Thing is, the reviews will be there for years. Whatever price someone paid last year or several or 10 years ago will be wrong, and may be seasonal as well. I would rather look up current reliable info, which can be as easy as clicking on the website link usually provided. Rather than reading a price, looking at the date of the review, wondering if it is accurate, then going the website anyway. When there are _current_ deals they’re pretty easy to discover, and often discussed on this board.

It is just as likely they did NOT get a good price, or at least the "best" price, but how do you know? Better to use their judgement on the diving and resort/livaboard, etc, and perceived value, and do your own independent research on prices.

I have subscribed since 1994 and highly recommend it. It has saved us from making some poor decisions regarding dive destinations and operators.

On the issue of publishing trip costs, I've started doing so in my trip reports on this forum for the sort of reasons put forward; to acknowledge special deals (e.g. Aggressor's annual 30+% off live-aboard sales, use of the cheapest rooms on the boat, etc...), and to give people a rough ball park idea of what was paid for the trip depicted.

I like to give detail so they can see where things might vary (e.g.: airfare). After all, that live-aboard destination may be a trip where you don't need to rent a vehicle for the week; spend that same week at a hotel and Key Largo, and you've got car or SUV rental and a tank of gas to think about.

Undercurrent reviews follow a fairly comprehensive, concise format that presses reviewers to address a consistent set of parameters.

I subscribe and find it worthwhile. If I were scraping by, I'd have to revisit that notion. Ask again if I'm ever blessed with retirement...!

Richard.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom