Uh oh... Strobe problems (soon to be) in Bali

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

InDaWata

Contributor
Reaction score
Hey everyone,

SO I've been meticulously planning my return underwater and I was checking my kit today and I found my trusty old Inon z240 which I've had for years... (See the picture)
full.jpg

I assume its going to die really soon. If it isn't already dead.

I've got a week before I fly. My snoots will only fit either a z240 or a d2000, (they're especially designed for those models).

What are my options?
Is there a place to rent strobes in Bali?
Maybe some generous soul (whom I will be indebted to forever) who might be willing to sell/lend/etc their d2000 or z240 for my trip? (I live in the Paris area)

I don't know about your strobe but if you haven't dived in a while, waiting until a week before a dive vacation to check the condition of your gear is probably not the best idea.

Sorry can't help I'm a Retra guy.
You may still have a little time before they kick the bucket, usually the light of the Inon really goes brownish and dim before they completely die unlike Sea&Sea strobes that go AWOL in a dive time.

Then it's a pity you aren't yet a member of the largest french UWphoto board , you could have asked for help there (or are you?).
forum-photosub.fr, le forum de la photo sous-marine - Portail

Otherwise if you are in Tulamben there are some freelancer guides who you could probably rent a Inon strobe from. Who are you diving with, which part of the island?

You may also contact Jeff Mullins in Bali here Underwater Photography Strobes he normally sells but you may check with him whether he has strobes to rent.

Very helpful, thanks Luko...

I contacted Jeff, who doesn't have any to sell as they've been recalled.
I didn't check out that forum, but maybe I will, couldn't hurt anyway.

I don't know the place to rent strobe, particularly inon d2000 or z240, but you can get it from oceanpixel bali. Probably the most complete selection for UWP equipment.
Contact Andy Chan. His store is not far from Bali airport. probably he can deliver to your resort in tulamben. This what he did to me sometime ago.

I don't know the place to rent strobe, particularly uninstall d2000 or z240, but you can get it from oceanpixel bali. Probably the most complete selection for UWP equipment.
Contact Andy Chan. His store is not far from Bali airport. probably he can deliver to your resort in tulamben. This what he did to me sometime ago.
Yes i used Andy "Albatross" once when I forgot my strobe arms at home. Very helpful when you want to purchase equipment but no renting AFAIK, he's now the offical dealer in town for Nauticam Underwater Strobes
Anyway you'll have to purchase a new strobe sooner or later, maybe the opportunity for... he replies fast to Whatsapp.

Lots of great advice from you guys, thanks!

I've contacted Mr. Albatross at Albatross Ocean Pixel Bali, and Jeff Mullins at Reef Wreck and Critter - both have been very helpful and have tried to help out as much as they could, however everyone is saying that Inon has completely replaced the D2000 and Z240 with the newer models and they've recalled their old strobes.

It makes a lot of sense, but I was hoping that some shop still had the old models in a back room somewhere collecting dust or something. I've found one or two on eBay, but given the shipping time it's a bit of a risk to order.

And yes, it is a horrible idea to wait a week before dusting off your kit before going on a trip, but sometimes life just gets in the way. I'm lucky I've even had the time this week to check into it.

Less than a week to go still... Im not going to give up just yet though.

Back
Top Bottom