Which strobe and other bits and pieces for Canon S95 in WP-DC38?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Kalab

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Hi,

I have been using a Canon S95 in a Canon WP-DC38 for a few years now and I am quite happy with the results but realize that I can squeeze more out of the camera. I love the fact that it is so portable though. Many years ago I had a Nikon F801s in a Subal housing with an SB24 in a flash housing, lenses, rings, film etc. but carrying it around was no fun at all. So I am happy to stay using a compact camera.

I'm off on holiday soon and looking to treat myself to a little upgrade or three!

From previous experience then I know that a strobe is probably the next bit of kit I should add on, but which?
  • I want something as small and light as possible (I have too much dive gear to schlep around already - I'm a holiday diver these days).
  • I want something that I won't have to upgrade when I eventually upgrade the camera or housing or both.
  • I can handle manual but would love the convenience of TTL and the ability to concentrate on composition and positioning (and enjoying the diving), rather than my scrawled notes on a slate.

From a lot of reading I have whittled it down to a few choices:

• Sea & Sea YS-01 (cheap, but maybe not reliable / sophisticated)
  • Inon S-2000 (very light, no need for a sync cord?)
  • Inon D-2000 (a bit more sophisticated)
  • Inon Z240 (probably the best option when thinking about future upgrades)

Time has moved on since my camera and housing combo was current (2012), so I am wondering what kind of advice you would all give now?

I'm also thinking of ultralight arms, with Stix floats. Where can you buy the Stix floats in the UK though? Cameras Underwater doesn't have them for example, nor does Ebay.

I'm also likely to add an Inon 28LD mount base and possibly a UCL-165 LD Macro Lens, possibly an Inon UWL-H100 28LD wide angle lens. I'm worried about trying to use both lenses, fumbling them, the system being too negatively buoyant, scratching them and generally just having too much to think about. Which lens first, or should i perhaps just go for the strobe alone first and get used to it? Macro or wide in Mauritius/Reunion? Looks like a bit of both to me...

I have seen some suggestions that the Inon UWL-H100 28LD wide angle lens really needs to be paired with the dome port, but isn't 100 degrees without the dome wide enough?

Thanks for help in advance, apologies for all of the questions!

Glad to know I'm not the only one who still uses a Canon s95!!! Still takes great photos despite its age :D Just shoot RAW and manual.

For strobes, I use a single Sea & Sea YS-D1. It's a newer version than the YS-01 and has all the bells and whistles that other strobes have. Here's a review of it: YS-D1 strobe review, specs, comparison|Underwater Photography Guide comparing it to the Inon Z240. Whatever strobe you get can be used with another camera, whether compact or not, so you're covered there.

For arms, I use the regular ultralight arms. Haven't needed the floats yet, but I use a pretty short arm.

For wet lenses, I use Inon UCL-100 and UWL-H100. Both with the M67 thread because that's what my housing has! The UCL-100 has greater magnification than the UCL-165 but I think it can only be used on some compact cameras. So best to check the compatibility on their website. The UWL-H100 doesn't really have to be paired with the dome port IMO. It was wide enough for me to shoot the mantas in Maldives. I guess it depends how wide you want to go.

I very rarely take both lenses on a dive together because it takes quite a bit of effort to swap lenses and it is quite heavy for me (I'm pretty tiny). If you do get them both, make sure to get a wet lens holder that you can attach on your strobe arms :D

On which to get first, I guess it's best to get what you think you will use more, even after your trip to Mauritius. I got the macro lens first because I usually do macro dives here in the Phils.

Happy shopping and shooting! :D

Thanks for your reply. I am leaning towards the Z240, mostly because I am less likely to need to replace it in a few years time. I will pair this with Ultralight arms and tray. That is all that I am likley to get before my next trip as nobody in the UK has a non 28LD mount base for a DC38 housing in stock. Everybody seems to need to get one from Japan which will take weeks. i have posted a wanted add here and on other sites and I have called around most of the retailers of Inon equipment in the UK too. Shame!

Kalab:
Hi,
I'm also likely to add an Inon 28LD mount base and possibly a UCL-165 LD Macro Lens, possibly an Inon UWL-H100 28LD wide angle lens.
Good idea. That's what I started with and can recommend both. It's pretty easy to swap lenses with the lens caddy. I always kept the wide angle on until I found something small so I didn't miss anything big that was swimming by.
Kalab:
I have seen some suggestions that the Inon UWL-H100 28LD wide angle lens really needs to be paired with the dome port, but isn't 100 degrees without the dome wide enough?
The only time it wasn't wide enough for me was when I was trying to shoot wrecks (granted, never did a whale shark tour with it either).

I'm guessing it's too late for your trip but I really need to get around to listing my old gear in the classifieds...

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom