How do you use a Crotch Strap

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I'm just experimenting, what works, what doesn't work ect. I haven't needed the trap so far, but since I'm taking the rescue class soon, I figured I'd try to address all elephants, before hand, the tech shorts seem like a good buy.

Part of Rescue class, indeed a big part of it, is to try and see what works and what doesn't. Don't buy equipment specifically for the course, learn to adapt the the solutions to work with the type of equipment you dive in. Sometimes it can identify minor issues with some's kit configuration, and we work through that (offer alternatives so they can see what solution) may work better.

PS: I also dive a TransPac (and Transplate) and find no issues with a crotch strap - I have mine set so that on land the waist belt is pulled slightly down - but underwater you don't notice this. I also use a very soft crotch strap webbing

Yes, take it off and throw it in the dive gear collection bag. Unless you're using a DPV/scooter they aren't necessary.

Ditto. My daughter and I attach & use a crotch strap for a scooter dive, period. Otherwise it's just an extra useless strap to bother with. People say it keeps the doubles from riding up too high, but I've never found that the slightest bit necessary. Maybe we have more of a waist than a male diver?

Without the crotch strap I can shift the rig maybe 10cm forward max, and that's only if I really & purposely try (valve drills). Never noticed a problem floating on the surface and never used the strap in any class.

If the idea is to learn what works and what doesn't, try diving w/o the crotch strap. If you don't miss it, then there's your answer.

Me too, note this video where I am upside down spinning down in some shots on my vertical axis with backplate wing and no crotch strap Giant Pacific Clams
And how exactly would a crutch strap help when upside down? I’m not understanding your point here?

I use a crotch strap with my ScubaPro Hydros Pro BCD. The front D-ring is a good place for clipping on a reef hook. I also have a line cutter stored on the crotch strap below the D-ring.
I clip my camera lanyard off the the front D-ring and I keep my SMB that’s tucked up in my backplate clipped off the rear D-ring as well - very useful and I never notice it when diving. Sounds like OP’s Is just too tight?

You know what, the more I dive with it, I realize that the crotch strap is actually a good trip controller, because if your butt starts to feel like it’s being squeezed , it means your not trimmed correctly in the water, and it forces me to correct it. It’s a funny way of training, but it's actually working for me pretty good.

I have a scubapro hydros pro bcd.
I have about 5/6 kg weight (4 in the integrated pockets and 1/2 in the tank trim pockets) and generally the fit is fine.

But I feel a crotch strap would feel better.

Let's see.
First divefine with one tomorrow.

I got one with a quick repeat buckle.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom